Leave of Absence

A student may be placed on a leave of absence for personal or other reasons (e.g. health, family obligations, military service, etc.) The approval of the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs (or designee) is required before a leave of absence is granted for a specific period, not to exceed one year. A request for a leave of absence is not automatically granted–decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.

A student seeking to be placed on a leave of absence, extend a leave of absence, or be reinstated following a leave of absence must submit the request in writing (using either the Leave of Absence Request form or Approval for Reinstatement Following a Leave of Absence form), along with any supporting materials, to his/her faculty adviser or (for PSL students) division director. The faculty adviser (or PSL division director) shall forward the request form, indicating his/her recommendation, to the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs (or designee), who will make the final decision whether or not to approve the request and notify the Office of the Registrar of the decision.

The Office of the Registrar in turn will notify the student and the appropriate parties indicated on the request form, including, if the request is approved, the Financial Aid and Student Accounts offices and (if applicable) the Office of International Services. For students in receipt of federal financial aid, the Financial Aid Office will recalculate the eligibility for federal Title IV student financial assistance for the student (if applicable). Federal aid recipients who are considering going on a leave of absence should consult with the Financial Aid Office in advance to discuss the financial aid implications.

There is no fee for a leave of absence. The period of leave is considered an approved interruption of the degree program and will not count toward the maximum time allowed for degree completion. Students placed on a leave of absence are still required to meet all tuition/fee and financial aid obligations.

A leave of absence pre-supposes no registration during the period of leave granted. Students placed on a leave of absence are not permitted to register for or attend classes, use school/university services, or maintain employment with a student status while their leave is in effect.

The maximum time allowed for each period of leave granted shall be one year. A student whose initial leave of absence period is about to expire has the option to request a leave of absence extension, subject to the approval of the Vice Dean (or designee). Except in exceptional circumstances, the maximum time allowed for students to be placed on consecutive leaves of absence shall not exceed two years. [Note: Students in the EdD program will be granted a maximum of two leaves of absence, irrespective of the length of each period of leave and whether cumulatively the total period of leave falls below the two-year limit.] Students who fail to matriculate or obtain approval for an extension following the expiration of a leave of absence will be administratively withdrawn from the program by the Office of the Registrar.

Students must submit the request to be placed on a leave of absence (or extend a leave of absence) at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester in which the leave of absence will take effect. Students cannot be placed on a leave of absence during a semester in which they have matriculated and the course(s) they are enrolled in have already started.

Students who are unable to complete the current semester in which they are enrolled must drop/withdraw from all courses in accordance with the School of Education’s Dropping/Withdrawing from a Course policy and Withdrawal/Audit Calendar. [Note: Students who withdraw from courses after the semester has begun will not be placed on an official leave of absence for that semester; the leave of absence status will not take effect until the following semester.] If the deadline has passed to withdraw from courses in which the student is currently enrolled, the student will need to file a General Petition Form to appeal to be withdrawn from those courses. [Note: Appeals to withdraw from courses after the deadline has passed will only be granted in exceptional circumstances, such as a family emergency.] The same documentation used to support the leave of absence request should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar as part of this general petition.

Note: Federal aid recipients who withdraw from all coursework will have their federal aid canceled and will be responsible for any debit balance created.

Note: Veterans applying for readmission following inactivation/deactivation of a previous admission decision cannot be denied entrance for reasons relating to their service.

Contact Us

We hope that you’ll find the answers to many of your questions on this site.  However, please feel free to contact us if you need any additional information.

Office of the Registrar
Johns Hopkins University
School of Education
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 180
Columbia, MD 21046-2249
Phone: 410-516-9816
Fax: 410-516-9817