An “I” (incomplete) grade is used when the instructor is not prepared to give a final grade for the course because of some justifiable delay in the student’s completion of specific coursework. A final grade is submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the instructor after the student’s completed work has been graded, provided the work was done within the agreed timeframe, as set by the instructor. In the event that the work is not completed within the agreed timeframe, and no grade is reported by the final day of classes of the subsequent semester (summer, fall, or spring), a grade of “F” automatically replaces the “I” on the student’s academic transcript. The Academic Year Calendar details the last date each semester by which any “I” grades recorded in SIS are automatically replaced by “F” grades.

Incomplete Procedure

To request approval for an “I” (incomplete) grade, students must initiate the Incomplete Grade Contract form located in Student Information System (SIS). Students should review the Incomplete Grade Contract Instructions for step-by-step guidance on this process.

Please Note: Before submitting an Incomplete Grade Contract, students should communicate with their course instructor (and adviser when appropriate) to determine if the contract is appropriate for their circumstances.