At the Johns Hopkins School of Education, we recognize the immeasurable value in cultivating a rich and diverse community of different cultural backgrounds and perspectives.

Our passion for uniting diverse voices is unmistakable, and our school’s commitment to inclusivity inspires us to extend a warm embrace to students hailing from all corners of the globe.

While the application process for international students is the same as it is for domestic students, we strive to provide additional, tailored resources that address the specific needs of our international student community.

Our focus on equity and access ensures that students from around the world arrive here and find a nurturing academic environment, strong support networks, and ample opportunities for meaningful collaboration – collectively fortifying the Johns Hopkins School of Education’s role as a leading global force in shaping the future of education.

Inspiring Cross-Cultural Impact: Empowering International Student Journeys

General Application Tip

When completing your application, provide your full legal name as listed in your passport. If your transcripts or other supporting documents were issued in another name, also include that name on your application and attach a letter of explanation and evidence of the name change.


Please visit the admission deadlines and requirements page for more information. For programs listed with rolling admission, prospective international applicants should follow the priority or early decision deadline. For summer semester admissions, international applicants may be considered for full-time graduate degree programs only. Applications for part-time degree programs beginning in the summer will not be considered.

International Transcripts and Credential Evaluation

International applicants must hold, or be in the process of obtaining, the equivalent of a 120-credit (four-year) U.S. baccalaureate degree to be eligible for admission to Johns Hopkins School of Education master’s or graduate certificate programs. The determination of degree equivalency to U.S. degrees is at the discretion of the Johns Hopkins School of Education.

Applicants who hold qualifying degrees or have earned credits from institutions outside the United States or English-speaking Canada must have their academic records evaluated by an accredited independent credential evaluation agency before they can be considered for admission to a degree program.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the necessary paperwork and payment to an approved evaluation service, and to request that an official copy of the report be sent to the Johns Hopkins School of Education Office of Admissions directly from the evaluation agency. When selecting the type of evaluation, please select the course-by-course evaluation option.

Approved International Credential Evaluation Agencies

For international or internationally educated applicants seeking to obtain a credential evaluation for academic transcripts and degrees, the Johns Hopkins School of Education approves the use of any National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency.

The course-by-course evaluation allows the School of Education faculty committee reviewers to properly understand your academic success and original transcripts confirm authenticity of the applicant’s degree.

Below is a short list of NACES approved agencies. For a complete listing of approved agencies, please visit the NACES website.

Note: Applicants are not required to send additional, separate authentic institutional transcripts to the School of Education in addition to those required to be sent to the credential service.

World Education Services (WES)
Educational Credential Evaluator (ECE)
Educational Perspectives
Foundation for International Services
International Education Evaluations (IEE)

Degrees from Canada

Degrees or credits earned at a Canadian higher education institution do not require an international course-by-course evaluation if (1) the transcript is in English, and (2) the institution is a member of Universities Canada [formerly the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC)] or other accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. If you received a degree from a college or university in English-speaking Canada, please have your institution submit transcripts directly to the Johns Hopkins School of Education Office of Admissions.

Evaluation reports may be sent electronically from the evaluation service to [email protected] or by mail to the following address:

Johns Hopkins University
School of Education
Office of Admissions
2800 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Demonstration of English Language Proficiency

Non-U.S. citizens from countries where English is not the official language are required to submit one of the following standardized tests as part of the admissions application process. A waiver for the English language proficiency requirement may granted for some applicants who meet specific criteria. Please reference the English Language Testing Waiver section below for more information.

TOEFL and IELTS exams are valid for two years from the date of the original exam.

Accepted English Language Proficiency Tests

TOEFL Internet-Based Test (iBT) or TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition

  • JHU SOE will only accept scores sent electronically and directly from ETS, the testing provider. Please request your official test scores to Institution Code: 8585
  • If you wish to send us TOEFL “MyBest Scores,” we will accept them. However, all TOEFL scores we receive will be made available to the program reviewing your application. The program to which you are applying may decide how they wish to evaluate the scores provided.
  • Minimum Score iBT overall: 100

IELTS Academic or the IELTS Academic Indicator Online Test

  • Only the IELTS Academic Test is accepted.
  • All applicants submit IELTS scores directly to the School of Education Office of Admissions.
  • We accept official scores submitted either electronically by the IELTS test center via the E-Delivery service, or official score reports may be mailed to the Office of Admissions.
    • When requesting scores from IELTS, please contact the center where you took the test. Please specify the IELTS, Account Name: Johns Hopkins University School of Education and the address: 2800 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 in your request.
  • Minimum Overall Band Score: 7

English Language Testing Waiver

The English language proficiency requirement may be waived if you meet at least one of these criteria:

  • You are a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, or a citizen of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or Canada (except Quebec). Applicants who are citizens of India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. are not exempt from the requirement.
  • At the time of enrollment at the Johns Hopkins School of Education, you will have studied in full-time status for at least two academic years in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand, or with English language instruction in Canada or South Africa. If you did not study in one of these countries, you are not exempt from the requirement—even if English was the language of instruction at your school.

If you qualify for a waiver, you can locate the waiver form in the online application. You will be required to both upload a short paragraph explaining the criteria met. In addition, you must submit a transcript that shows you attended college in one of the approved locations, and that your academic program was at least two years in length.

F-1 Visa Requests

An international applicant requiring a student (F-1) visa to attend school must obtain full admission to a degree program well in advance of the start of the semester. The School of Education is unable to provide F-1 visa sponsorship for:

  • All fully online degree programs
  • Degree programs offering part-time only enrollment
  • Graduate certificate and post-master’s certificate programs
  • Graduate special (non-degree) student status
  • MS in Education – School Administration and Supervision
  • MS In Education/Interdisciplinary Studies Option
  • MS in Education Policy
  • MS in Special Education – Mild-to-Moderate Disabilities
  • MS in Special Education – Severe Disabilities (Applied Behavior Analysis)
  • MS in Special Education – Severe Disabilities (Autism Spectrum Disorders)

For summer semester admissions, international applicants may be considered for full-time graduate degree programs only. International applicants are strongly encouraged to review the admissions deadlines and requirements webpage carefully to ensure that they meet any stated program prerequisites before starting an application.

Students seeking an F-1 visa are required to show proof that they can afford all tuition and expenses for the academic year in order to receive their form I-20, F-1 visa document. The Office of International Services (OIS) will contact admitted students my email around mid-March, once the tuition amount has been set for the upcoming academic year, with instructions for requesting a form I-20. Students admitted after mid-March will be contacted by OIS within one to two days after their admission decision. Additional information about the I-20 request process can be found on the OIS website.

Once students arrive in the U.S., they must check in with OIS.  Students will receive check-in instructions from OIS prior to the start of their degree program. This is an electronically administered process that includes an online orientation on F-1 regulations. Additional information about F-1 requirements for maintaining status can be found on the OIS website.

If students have any questions about their F-1 status, they should contact OIS at 667-208-7001 or [email protected]. All current international students in F-1 status sponsored by the university are automatically subscribed to the OIS Newsletter upon the first semester of enrollment. The OIS Newsletter provides regular updates regarding visa-related matters and other items of interest to international students.

Note: Federal financial aid is not available for international students.

Contact OIS

International Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree)

International applicants who hold types of visas other than an F-1 visa and who wish to enroll as part-time graduate special students (non-degree) should follow the application directions outlined under Non-Degree Special Students. International graduate students attending other institutions on student (F-1) visas during the regular academic year are also welcome to enroll as graduate special students (non-degree) during the summer.

Admissions Policy Pertaining To Three-Year Bachelor’s Degrees

The Johns Hopkins School of Education’s admissions policy requires that an applicant have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university as determined by a regional or general accrediting agency. These accrediting agencies define bachelor’s degrees, in the U.S., as requiring four years to complete, with 120 semester credits earned. Applicants who have completed accelerated degree programs in less than four years but have earned the equivalent of 120 U.S. semester credits may apply. Prospective students who have earned a bachelor’s degree that is three-years in length and under the equivalent of 120 U.S. semester credits should consult with the Office of Admissions before starting or submitting an online application.

If the School of Education’s Office of Admissions receives a transcript or course-by-course evaluation that indicates that an applicant’s degree (in-progress or completed) is not equivalent to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree, an applicant will be notified and may have their application inactivated or withdrawn.

The Johns Hopkins School of Education does not currently offer undergraduate courses for applicants to enroll in a fourth year of undergraduate study or bridge program, nor can our Admissions representatives advise applicants with three-year degrees on pathways to completing additional course credits to meet this requirement. We recommend that prospective students in this situation speak to an academic advisor at their bachelor degree granting institution to determine the best pathway to achieving this outcome.

Need to Know

  • The Homewood Campus is located in Baltimore, Maryland.
  • The Johns Hopkins School of Education does not offer on-campus housing for students. Off-campus housing is available near our two campuses.
  • Students who are not U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or other eligible non-citizens (status of refugee, asylum, humanitarian parole, Cuban-Haitian Entrant) are considered international students and are not eligible for federal financial assistance
  • F-1 students are required to show proof that they can afford all tuition and expenses for the academic year in order to receive their I-20 form.
  • In order to receive a student (F-1) visa, you must be fully admitted to a degree program well in advance (approximately two months before) of the start of the semester.
  • Full-time status is defined as being enrolled in a minimum of nine credits for graduate study or 12 credits for undergraduate study each semester (fall and spring).
  • SOE does not issue I-20 eligibility certificates for provisional or conditional acceptance to any program, fully online programs, nor do we issue an I-20 for graduate certificate programs.

Start your application today.