The Johns Hopkins School of Education values the fervor for learning and positive impact beyond formal credentials.

Students looking to engage in our graduate-level courses (500-level and above) without pursuing a graduate degree or certificate are known as non-degree or graduate special students.

Given that not all programs or courses accommodate the non-degree graduate special student status, we advise applicants to check program eligibility and course availability before embarking on the application process.

Thorough review of our academic catalogue, course descriptions, and the course schedule is strongly recommended before submission of an application.

Please note that applicants looking to immerse themselves within the Doctor of Education or Doctor of Philosophy programs cannot do so as non-degree or graduate special students.

Embracing Diverse Journeys: Empowering Non-Degree Seeking Applicants

Qualifications for Non-Degree Seeking Applicants

  • You must possess a bachelor’s or graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university and have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all previous undergraduate and graduate studies (including incomplete programs of study and for programs still in progress) to be approved for graduate special student status.
  • Submit an online application form for graduate special student admission.
  • Submit your application with a $25 application fee.
  • Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work. To be deemed official, transcripts must be received in the Office of Admissions. Academic records from non-U.S. institutions must be evaluated by a certified credential evaluation agency.

Applicants are encouraged to request official transcripts from issuing institutions to be sent electronically to Johns Hopkins School of Education at [email protected].

If your issuing institution does not offer electronic transcript delivery, please request official transcripts to be mailed to the following address:

Johns Hopkins University
School of Education
Office of Admissions
5801 Smith Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21209
Suite M-500

Restrictions Related to Non-Degree Seeking Applicants

  • Students enrolled as non-degree graduate special status are not eligible for federal financial aid and do not qualify as matriculated or enrolled in an academic program to qualify for loan deferment/ forbearance programs.
  • Students enrolled as non-degree graduate special (non-degree) status are not eligible to use their veteran’s benefits.
  • Students enrolled with graduate special student (non-degree) status are not eligible to participate in the JHU Student Health Insurance Program.
  • Students that have been previously academically dismissed or dismissed for student conduct violations from any SOE program may not reapply as non-degree graduate special student (non-degree) status.
  • Non-degree graduate special student (non-degree) admission does not guarantee admission as a degree student.
  • Candidates may not submit both a degree application and non-degree application for the same entry term.
  • Only nine credits may be credited toward the minimum requirements for admission to a degree program.
  • Per federal regulations, international applicants seeking an immigrant study visa are not eligible to apply to non-degree graduate special student status.

Note: Former non-degree graduate special status students who have not continuously enrolled in three semesters or one academic year will be required to submit a new application form.

Start your application today.