Caps and Gowns

When can the academic regalia (cap and gown) be ordered?

Regalia is the required garb for all ceremonies. The University has partnered with Oak Hall for academic regalia and all candidates are required to order their regalia from them. Academic garb purchased from past vendors is not acceptable for the ceremonies. The SOE regalia website is available for candidate’s orders. Regalia should look neat. Please try on the regalia to ensure fit and hang or steam so it is not wrinkled. Master’s and doctoral regalia are available for purchase. Doctoral regalia is also available to rent.

I forgot to order a cap and gown, what can I do?

On the day of the ceremony, a representative of the bookstore will be stationed near the student check in tables in Goldfarb Gym, where extras will be available; students will need to pay an additional fee onsite. Orders not picked up will not be available in Goldfarb Gym; graduates are responsible for picking up their order prior to the ceremony.

What side should the tassel be on?

Since all of our participants have obtained their bachelors degree, they will always wear the tassel on the left side.

Where can I drop off my cap & gown?

Doctoral rental regalia needs to be returned to the bookstore. Master’s graduate regalia is purchase only, the cap and gown are yours to keep.


How long will the SOE ceremony last?

The School of Education ceremony procession begins promptly at 7:00 p.m. ET. We anticipate it lasting approximately 2 1/2 hours, ending at approximately 9:30 p.m. ET.

Where can I store my belongings?

There is no place to store valuables; please keep items with a family member or guest during the ceremony.

Where are the bathrooms located?

Graduate restrooms are in the Goldfarb Gym and can be accessed by entering the gym at the end of the field next to the Bob Scott statue.

Can I leave as soon as my name is called and I cross the stage?

All candidates are expected to remain seated until the end of the ceremony following the faculty procession. This is out of courtesy for the candidates who are graduating and special guests participating in the ceremonies.

Can I attend the ceremonies if I have not met all my degree requirements?

You are welcome to attend the ceremony as a guest; however, because you will not be graduating, you cannot participate in the ceremony.

Are there restrictions on what can be brought to the field?

It is recommended that you leave personal items at home or at your accommodation. All bags and purses may be searched upon entering the stadium, and restrictions are as follows:

  • Bags and purses larger than 13” x 15”, including luggage, are not permitted. Diaper bags are permitted.
  • Backpacks and luggage are not permitted. Please plan to have your large bags or luggage stored at your hotel/accommodation if you need to check out prior to the ceremony. Bags that do not meet the requirements will not be permitted into the stadium and bag check will not be provided.
  • Wrapped gifts and balloons are not allowed.
  • Signs, posters, banners, and flags will not be allowed inside the stadium for safety reasons.
  • Umbrellas are not permitted inside the stadium. In case of rain, please bring a rain jacket. If needed during the ceremony, ponchos will be provided.
  • Food and drinks are allowed in the stands but may not be brought onto the field.  Only water will be permitted on the field.
  • Alcohol, drugs, and tobacco are strictly prohibited, including e-cigarettes.
  • Pets are not permitted in or around Homewood Field with the exception of Service Dogs.
  • Knives, fireworks, laser pointers, lighters, or weapons of any kind are not permitted.
  • Firearms are not permitted (including non-uniform law enforcement officer and concealed carry permit holders).
  • Horns, cow bells, whistles or any artificial noisemakers or laser pointers are not permitted.

Guests are permitted to bring an unopened water bottle, and a seat cushion or seat back.

Can I attend the commencement/graduation ceremonies if I am only receiving a graduate or post-master’s certificate?

Graduate or post-master’s certificate recipients are welcome to attend the ceremony as a guest. Only master’s and doctoral candidates are recognized by name as they cross the stage.

What is the difference between the SOE and the University Ceremony?

At the SOE ceremony, master’s and doctoral candidates are recognized individually by name as they cross the stage. In addition to the SOE Ceremony, doctoral graduates are invited to a separate ceremony the previous day.

Graduates from summer and fall 2023 and spring 2024 master’s, and doctoral candidates are invited to attend the University’s ceremony. Only doctoral candidates will be called to the stage individually. Master’s degree candidates from each of the schools of Johns Hopkins will be recognized as a group.

Ticket Information

Guest tickets are not required for the School of Education ceremony.


Information regarding hotels can be found on the Commencement website.

In addition, The Study at Johns Hopkins located at 3215 N. Charles Street, has reduced rates available to SOE students. Please contact Alessandra Haslbeck via email or phone 410-243-0030 to receive discounted room rates. 


Will a photographer be taking pictures?

For the School of Education ceremony a photographer will take 2 pictures; one of the candidates in line and one with the Dean. GradImages is the official photographer for our graduation and details on ordering photos will be emailed to candidates as available.

How do I order my photos?

GradImages is the official photographer for our graduation. Proofs will be sent to you shortly after graduation. Pictures can be ordered online, by phone, or by mail. GradImages can be contacted via web or phone 800-261-2576.

Note: T-shirt and flower sales will be located at the field entrances. These shirts have the students’ names on them and can be purchased before or after the ceremony. 


Spring 2024 graduates will receive their diplomas in the mail directly from the vendor over the summer. All graduates from previous terms will have already received their diplomas by mail directly from the vendor.

University regulations stipulate that all outstanding accounts must be paid in full before a candidate’s diploma may be released.

I have moved and would like to update my address. What steps should I take?

Spring 2024 graduates can update diploma mailing address in SIS.

  1. Under the Personal Info menu tab, select “Summary”
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the Address Information section. You will see the Diploma address option. If you need to update this, select “edit,” make your changes, and then “save.” Once saved, your address will be updated for your diploma to be mailed in mid-to-late June by the vendor. We strongly suggest you work with the U.S. Post Office to place a “forwarding order” to ensure your mail will be sent to your new address.

Where can I find information on the electronic diploma?

Please see the CeDiploma section of the Office of the University Registrar’s diplomas webpage.

How can I request a duplicate or a replacement diploma?

Please see the Replacement Diplomas section of the Office of the University Registrar’s diplomas webpage.

Baltimore Graduation Event Accessibility

Johns Hopkins is committed to promoting the full participation of all individuals with disabilities in the graduation exercises. Below is information pertaining to ceremony accommodations made for individuals with disabilities.


Accessible parking spaces will be provided on a first-come, first served basis at the Homewood Field lot, directly next to the Imagine Center, 113 W. University Parkway; the Imagine Center is located in close proximity to Homewood Field.  Additional parking is provided on W. University Parkway, adjacent to the Homewood Field Schelle Pavilion and North Gate entrances; a state-issued license plate or hangtag is required.  Additional accessible parking spaces are available in the San Martin and South Garages and accessible shuttles will run from both garages.  Overflow parking is available in South Garage, which is a half mile walk to Homewood Field; shuttle service is available.

An accessible drop-off area is available at the Schelle Pavilion entrance to Homewood Field on W. University Parkway.

If traveling in a group, we encourage guests to drop off those who have limited mobility and then to park in San Martin Garage. This allows us to leave open accessible spaces for those who are traveling alone or who need assistance.
Free parking is available after 5 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday in both San Martin and South Garages. Street parking is available around Charles Village, some is paid and some is free.

Interactive map

Accessibility map


The ceremony will have designated seating areas for persons using wheelchairs. Seating is available for the individual with the disability and up to three companions on a first-come, first-served basis. Guests using wheelchairs and their companions should enter the stadium through Schelle Pavilion on W. University Parkways. Graduation staff will be available to assist guests in finding a seat.

For other guests with mobility disabilities, it is strongly recommended that you arrive early to ensure you are able to find a seat that meets your needs. Doors will open at 6 p.m. ET. All entrances to the stadium are accessible. Should you need assistance, please see a Graduation staff member. All guests are asked to be seated by 6:45 p.m. ET.

Large screens on either side of the stage will project the ceremony, so guests need not sit close to the stage to have a “good seat.”


There are no elevators at Homewood Field. Accessible seating will be available; all other seating requires at least one step up.

Captioning and ASL Interpreters

Captions and ASL interpretation will be displayed on the screens projecting the ceremony.

Service Animals

Service animals are the only animals permitted at Homewood Field. Emotional Support Animals and other pets are not permitted.

Alternative Format Programs

Large print or Braille Graduation program booklet can be provided upon request. Please email [email protected] to specify a large print or Braille Graduation program booklet. We will make every effort to accommodate requests submitted by April 19, 2024.

Wheelchair Rentals

Wheelchairs are not available at Homewood Field. For more information or to arrange a wheelchair rental for the event, please call medical equipment rentals at Northern Pharmacy at 410-254-2055.