Third-party payments can be made by employers or any outside organization that sponsors some or all of your tuition and fees.

Employers and labor unions often provide educational benefits for their employees as part of a larger benefits package. The assistance may take the form of a contract between the employer and the university or a full or partial tuition reimbursement plan between the employer and the employee.

Students who participate in employer tuition reimbursement programs should plan to pay all tuition and fees at the time of registration and follow their employer’s procedures for requesting reimbursements.

Students with third-party payers are required to submit documentation and complete a brief acknowledgement section in SIS Self-Service.


Please note:

  • If your contract does not cover the entire cost of tuition and fees, you are required to pay the remaining balance.
  • Students can choose to receive an electronic bill or enroll in the monthly payment plan to cover any additional costs for tuition and associated fees.
  • If a student’s employer pays the student directly for tuition expenses, that student is required to pay tuition and fees directly to the School of Education and seek reimbursement from his or her employer. (Students can apply for financial aid, enroll in the monthly payment plan, or choose to be electronically billed.)
  • Employees receiving tuition assistance may be responsible for taxes on the value of the tuition assistance received and should check with employers for more details.
  • AmeriCorps Education Awards are excluded from this process at the present time.
  • Students must submit a purchase order or contract from their employer authorizing Johns Hopkins University to bill their employer directly for tuition and any associated fees.

For more information, please contact the Johns Hopkins Third Party Payer Team.

If you are a Johns Hopkins University employee inquiring about tuition support, please view Tuition Support for Employees or contact the Benefits Service center at 410-516-2000 or [email protected].