At the Johns Hopkins School of Education, we believe in simplifying your journey before (and during) your graduate education. As part of this goal, we've designed this resource which we hope provides clarity on our admissions process.

Here, you’ll find useful answers to a wide range of common questions. From application deadlines and fees to letters of recommendation and requirements for international applicants – we’ve covered almost every aspect related to applying to the Johns Hopkins School of Education.

We hope this page provides you with clear, understandable, and practical information so that you can make well-informed decisions about your future in education. If there is anything not listed here that you’d like us to include, please let our admissions team know at [email protected].

General Admissions Information

Q. What are the minimum requirements to apply? What should I do before I consider applying?

A. Admission to a degree program is determined by the School of Education’s faculty, departmental, or program committee that sets admissions standards and degree requirements for study in a particular area. Some departments require an interview after a completed application has been submitted. Please refer to the admissions deadlines and requirements and international student admissions sections of our website to confirm application requirements.

Q. How do I apply?

A. Each step of the application process is outlined on the how to apply and admissions deadlines and requirements webpages. Applicants who have attended institutions or earned degrees outside the United States or Canada should also review the international student admissions webpage for additional requirements.

Q. Can I speak to someone about my background, credentials, program of interest, and potential admissibility?

A. We invite you to schedule a personal phone consultation with an admissions representative, or to participate in a program virtual information session and access our virtual information resources. We can also help you connect with the appropriate faculty member or academic program coordinator who may also assist you with in-depth questions about the program, course work, course sequence, requirements, and student experiences in the program.

Q. I want to transfer into a master’s or doctoral degree program. Is there a special application I need to submit?

A. There is no separate admission process for applicants who are petitioning for transfer of graduate credits. SOE does not admit graduate degree applicants as transfer students with advanced standing. However, our departments and graduate program faculty will review requests for graduate transfer credits after an applicant has accepted an offer of admission. Transfer credit is reviewed and awarded at the discretion of the department or program after admission and enrollment in a program. Transfer credits are limited to a pre-set number of courses by degree level. Please visit the academic catalogue for more information on the number of graduate-level transfer credits accepted by degree.

Q. I want to apply as a non-degree status student? How do I apply?

A. All candidates interested in applying for graduate non-degree-seeking status or graduate special student status are required to submit an admission application; the complete registration steps are outlined on the non-degree-seeking applicants – graduate special student status webpage. Admission as a graduate special student does not guarantee admission to a degree-granting program in the future.

Note: Before submitting a graduate special student application, candidates should first search courses listed on the Student Information System (SIS) Course Catalogue for the academic term to identify available courses to enroll. Once a course is identified, prospective applicants should verify that they have already satisfied any prerequisites required for the course(s) of interest.

Q. I am a former SOE student, and my student record is no longer active. What do I need to do to re-enroll or apply to another degree program at SOE?

A. Former students who were previously enrolled in a degree program at JHU SOE and who did not complete that degree must reapply for admission. Graduates of a degree program at SOE who wish to pursue a new graduate program of study must also reapply for admission to a new program of study. In most cases, transcripts received as part of the student’s original application may be applied to a new application provided a student’s last enrollment has been within the last five years. If the applicant has attended another college or university since last enrolled at the SOE, official transcripts are required to be sent to the Office of Admissions. For additional questions about re-applying, please email the Office of Admissions at [email protected].

Q. I received an email stating that my application will be inactivated due to inactivity. What does this mean?

A. When an application file for a particular term has not been updated or completed for a time period of 90 days or longer, we routinely perform maintenance to withdraw application records administratively. If you would like to submit a new application for a current or future term, you may log in to the application portal with your same email address and password. Supporting materials already marked as received and applied to your application by the Admissions Office, such as official academic transcript records or official test scores, are, in most cases, transferable to a new application.

Q. I selected the program I wanted on the online application, but why won’t it let me select the term/semester I want?

A. If you are unable to select the term for your desired program, this may mean either the program does not offer admission for the term that you have selected or the program’s application deadline has passed and they are not accepting additional applications. Please check the application deadlines and requirements section of our page to verify the term is available. If the term is listed as available on the deadlines and requirements webpage but you are still unable to select this, please email [email protected].

If the deadline has not passed and your desired program does offer admission for that term/semester, please contact the Admissions Office at [email protected] for assistance.

Q. May I submit additional materials for my program to review, even if they have not asked for those documents (e.g., if my program requires three letters of recommendation, can I send in four instead)?

A. Programs must ensure that all applicants are considered equally. For this reason, we discourage applicants from sending additional application materials, other than what is required in the program application.

Q. Can I submit my supporting materials (i.e., official transcripts, TOEFL test scores, and letters of recommendation) before I submit my online application?

A. You are encouraged to complete and submit your online application form at the same time as you request your supporting materials to be sent.

Note: If your official test scores or transcripts record are listed under a previous last name, please be sure to list your other last names in the Personal Background section of the application form.

Q. Can I apply to more than one SOE degree program at SOE in a single term?

A. Applicants can be admitted to only one program of the same level per term (Summer, Fall, and Spring). Submission of two different applications for programs of the same level and in the same term/year will result in the withdrawal of the second application.

Exception: If applying to the MS Educational Studies/Interdisciplinary Individualized Studies Option, you will be instructed to complete the application master’s program as your primary program of study, and select one or two graduate certificates. Post-submission your application will be administratively adjusted to show the master’s degree and graduate certificate(s) as separate applications.

Q. Can I use Artificial Intelligence (AI), such as Chat GP or Bard AI, to help me write my graduate admissions essay statement?

A. AI based writing assistance programs should be treated like any other form of assistance you might seek as you are developing the required components of your application, whether it is a peer, co-worker, former instructor, or friend. The basic rule is that the writing you submit as part of your application should be original and your own. The School of Education Faculty Admission Review Committees value and place high importance on authentic self-expression and original ideas. Therefore, we discourage applicants from copying and pasting any content you did not create directly into any part of your application, essay, or supplemental materials.

Application Deadlines

Q. Where can I find the application deadlines for each of the graduate programs?

A. You can find the application deadlines for each of our graduate programs on the admissions deadlines and requirements webpage.

Q. I submitted my application form close to the posted deadline. Does this mean that if my transcripts or letters of recommendation do not arrive by the posted deadline, my application will be considered to have missed the deadline?

A. Yes. Provided your supporting documents arrive within 1–3 business days of the posted deadline, in most cases, your application will be forwarded for consideration. An application completion deadline represents the endpoint in the application process (i.e., the completion of your file) rather than the beginning of that process. All materials, including documents coming from other institutions and recommenders are expected to be received by the Admissions Office on or before the application deadline for full consideration. Please plan accordingly. The best advice we can give you when applying to any of our graduate programs is to apply sooner rather than later.

Q. I missed the final application deadline for the degree program that I want to apply to — is there any way I can still apply?

A. Unfortunately, you would not be able to submit an application after an application deadline has passed. You are welcome to submit an application for a future admission term.

Q. I experienced technical difficulties accessing the SOE website or online application, which caused me to miss the application deadline. Can any exception be made for me to submit an application based on this circumstance?

A. We do not accept application submissions after a deadline has passed. It is the applicant’s responsibility to complete the application in advance of a posted deadline. You are welcome, however, to submit an application for a future admission term.

Application Fees

Q. Do I have to submit the application fee to have my application considered for admission?

A. To have your application processed and reviewed, we require submission of the application form, which includes payment of the application fee.

  • $80.00 for doctoral, master’s, or graduate certificate program
  • $25.00 for graduate special students – graduate non-degree seeking

After you review and sign your form, you will then be directed to pay the application fee through our online payment system. The application fee is payable only by major credit card. Application fees are nonrefundable.

Note: If you are applying to the Teach For America/TNTP master’s or non-degree (certificate option) you are not required to pay an application fee.

Q. Does the Johns Hopkins School of Education offer application fee waivers?

A. SOE does not offer application fee waivers except to members/alumni of specific organizations:

  • Members of the U.S. military/National Guard or U.S. veterans
  • Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS)
  • AmeriCorps alumni
  • McNair Scholars
  • The National Name Exchange
  • Returned Peace Corps volunteers who have completed or will complete their service before applying to the Johns Hopkins School of Education

To request a waiver, please complete the online request form.


Q. What transcripts are required as part of my application?

A. The Johns Hopkins School of Education does not accept uploaded web-based academic records or transcripts provided directly from an applicant to satisfy the official transcript requirements. You are asked to request an official transcript from each institution listed in the Academic History section of your application, regardless of whether a degree/credential was earned. Applicants who hold degrees or have earned college-level credits from non-U.S. institutions must have their academic records evaluated by an accredited independent credential evaluation agency before they can be considered for admission to a degree program. Please visit the international student admissions section of the website for more information.

Official transcripts from an institution where a degree was received should indicate the conferral of your degree with a date. If you have a degree in-progress during the period you are applying, you will be required to request an official transcript showing your academic record through your most current term of study for admission consideration. If you are admitted, you will be required to request a second official transcript or “final” transcript indicating your degree conferral. If you submitted a course by course evaluation initially, you will need to submit an updated course by course evaluation that states that your degree is equivalent to a U.S. degree.

The Office of Admissions accepts certified electronic transcripts directly from issuing institutions by email to [email protected], or you may request your official transcripts to be mailed to the following address:

Johns Hopkins University
School of Education
Office of Admissions
5801 Smith Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21209
Suite M-500

Letters of Recommendation

Q. How should letters of recommendation be sent to Admissions?

A. We prefer that recommendation letters be submitted online directly through your application portal. In the online application, you will be prompted to enter the professional email addresses for each of your recommenders, and our system will then send an automatic email with instructions to each of your recommenders so they can submit their letters through our system. It is suggested that you reach out to them to confirm they have received this email. If they have any trouble receiving our email, contact us at [email protected], and we will assist your recommender in submitting his/her letter. Recommendations should be submitted on professional letterhead from the recommender’s professional email address.

Q. My program application instructions state that I need to submit letters of recommendation from academic and professional sources. I have been out of school for many years and cannot locate my former professors. What should I do?

A.  Applicants who are required to submit letters of recommendation for their degree program are advised to select the individuals who are best qualified to attest to your capacity for graduate work. We prefer that at least one of your references be an academic reference from a former instructor or faculty, though we realize that there are situations where this may not always be possible. It is important that both letters of recommendation are from individuals who know you well academically.

Former faculty members most commonly write letters of recommendation; however, other professionals who have supervised you in a job or internship aligned with the graduate program you are pursuing are appropriate sources. Letters written by peer work colleagues, family friends, community or political figures are not considered appropriate sources for letters of recommendation.

Q. I sent the request for my recommender within the online application, but my recommender says he/she has not received it.

A. Please ask your recommender to search his/her email junk folder, as it may have been misplaced. The subject of the email should read: “Johns Hopkins School of Education: Recommendation Request for (Applicant Name).” Please also confirm that the email address entered in the application form for the individual providing the recommendation is correct. If you have verified 1 and 2, please email the Admissions Office at [email protected] for assistance.

Standardized Tests

Q. Does the program I am applying to require submission of the GRE for admission?

A. Please check the admissions deadlines and requirements webpage for a listing of requirements for your program of interest.

Q. How do I submit standardized test scores?

A. If the program that you are applying to requires standardized test scores, please contact the testing provider and request these scores be sent to Johns Hopkins University School of Education using the school code listed below.

SOE Institution Codes

Test Institution Code








IELTS Academic

Request official test score to be sent electronically







Q. For how long are GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS scores valid?

A. GRE scores are valid for five years from the test date. TOEFL and IELTS Academic scores are valid for two years from test date. Applicants request testing scores be sent directly from the testing provider to the Office of Admissions at [email protected].

International Applicants

Q. Does the Johns Hopkins School of Education offer conditional admission to any graduate programs on the basis of future English language ability? Can I satisfy the English requirement after I have been offered admission?

A. No. Applicants who are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS must provide official scores before they can be considered for admission.

Q. I completed one of my previous degrees at an English language institution. Do I qualify for an English language testing waiver?

A. Please visit our international student admissions webpage for additional information.

Q. I have been admitted to a fully online graduate program. Am I eligible to apply for a student visa?

A. International students enrolled in online programs delivered fully online are not eligible to apply F-1 visa sponsorship to study in the United States.

Q. Are there scholarships available for international students?

A. The Johns Hopkins School of Education does not offer institutional scholarships for international students. International students are encouraged to research and apply for external scholarships. Below is a short list of external scholarship organizations and services that have been used by students in the past:

Fulbright Foreign Student Program
International Education Financial Aid (IEFA)
NAFSA US Study Abroad Scholarships and Grants
Peterson’s Scholarship Search

Note: This list is not exhaustive and is meant to provide a starting point for your research. No endorsement by JHU SOE is intended or implied.

Q. How do I apply for a student visa?

A. All admitted international degree students who plan to attend the Johns Hopkins School of Education are required to attend in F-1 or J-1 status (unless you are already in possession of an immigration status in which studying is permissible). This process will not begin until you are offered admission to a degree program of study.

The Office of International Services will contact admitted international degree students who have completed their enrollment form in the spring. Additional instructions will be provided then. Assisting students on F-1 visas is central to the support for international students provided by OIS. The office can also assist students who hold other nonimmigrant visas and direct them to the appropriate resources or government offices. If students are unclear about the type of visa they should obtain, they should visit the USCIS website for additional information, or contact OIS at 667-208-7001 or [email protected] with any questions.

Q. Are there student support services for international students?

A. The Office of International Services (OIS) provides support resources for newly admitted international students.    

Application Status

Q. How do I check the status of my application and the receipt of my supporting documents (i.e., official transcripts, letters of recommendation, or test scores)?

A. Once you have submitted your online application, you can check the status of your application by logging into your application account and viewing your application status page at

On the applicant status page, you will find a checklist where you can see if we have received supplemental materials, such as your letters of recommendation and transcripts.

Note: You will not be able to check the status of receipt of your supporting documents until after you submit the online application form.

Q. I just uploaded my essay/personal statement and resumé, and they are not showing as satisfied on my online checklist. How do I verify they were received?

A. There is a short time delay from the time you upload your personal statement or resumé to the time in which you will see this updated on your application checklist. Also, if you have not fully submitted your application form, you will not be able to view your application checklist. Please fully submit your application and visit to view the status of your supporting documents that are received and still outstanding.

Q. How can I update my application and/or contact information?

A. If you have submitted your application and need to make changes to your contact information (e.g., email, phone, or address), please contact our office at [email protected]. If your plans change and you need to move your application to a different term, please contact our office at [email protected].

Q. Can I submit my online application before I submit my supporting materials (i.e., official transcripts, official test scores, and letters of recommendation)?

A. Yes. We encourage you to fully submit your online application when you have completed all required sections of the online form and paid the application fee You do not need to wait for your recommenders to submit their letters before submitting your application or for your official transcripts to arrive before submitting your application form It is expected that these documents will arrive and be matched to your application post-submission.

Q. How do I know if you received my recommendation from a specific recommender?

A. You can check the status of your recommendations by going to your Application Status page and looking at the Application Checklist section. Below each recommender’s name you will see if it was “submitted.” Also, the status will show as “received” with a green check mark.

Admission Decision Questions

Q. When will I receive a decision on my application?

A. The notification of program decisions varies by department and application deadlines. Some of our graduate degree programs review applications on a rolling schedule, others use an admissions round schedule, and other degree programs with fixed deadlines review and release all application decisions during one time period.

Q. How do I respond to my offer of admission?

You will receive an email from the School of Education notifying you that a status update is available in the application portal.
After receipt, please:

  • Log into Application Portal.
  • Click the link that says “View Your Decision.”
  • To respond to your offer, click on “link to your status portal” in your notification letter and select the link titled “Offer Response Form.”
  • If your program of study requires an enrollment deposit, you will be prompted to pay the deposit after you accept your offer. Enrollment deposits may be paid by using a major credit card.

Q. Can I defer my admission to a future term?

A. If unexpected circumstances prevent you from enrolling in your JHU SOE degree program in the term to which you were admitted, you may request to defer your enrollment to the next period of your admission if deferral is offered by the program of study to which you were admitted. Only select SOE degree programs permit deferral of admission, and others do not (see below). However, deferral of admission is not automatic and limited to select degree programs.

SOE degree programs permitting deferral will require a new application if the student does not enroll in the deferred term originally designated. Deferral of admission is limited to one request per admitted program. All deferral requests are subject to review and approval by both the program and the Admissions Office.

If a deferral is denied or the deferred student cannot enroll in a program for the approved term, he or she will have to submit a new application. Supplemental application materials for previously submitted applications are retained in the Office of Admissions for up to two years.

Applicants who did not request an admissions deferral by the start date of the original semester admitted will be required to submit a new online admissions application. The following SOE programs do not offer admission deferral:

  • Doctor of Education Online (EdD)
  • Doctor of Philosophy in Education (PhD)
  • MS Educational Studies/TFA-TNTP
  • MS Education Policy
  • Graduate Special Students/Non-Degree Seeking
  • MS Education/International Teaching and Global Leadership (ITGL)

To request a deferral of admission, complete the Deferral Request Form.

Q. I was not offered admission. How can I request feedback on the reasons for the decision?

A. The School of Education understands and appreciates the effort that goes into preparing a graduate application. However, we are unable to provide individual feedback on why a candidate did not receive an offer of admission or offer recommendations for how an applicant could strengthen parts of an application for a future submission.

Admissions decisions are made by each department or program’s Faculty Admissions Review Committee. Faculty Admissions Committees are encouraged to take a comprehensive view of each applicant; their review includes not only an applicant’s academic preparation, such as academic history or professional background, but also the personal contributions an applicant could make to the SOE academic community, and disposition to work in a particular field. SOE receives many applicants each year for our degree programs, and regrettably we are unable to offer admission to every qualified applicant.    

Non-Degree Admissions

Q. Do I have to apply and be admitted if I just want to take a course?

A. Yes. To enroll in any graduate course at the School of Education, you must apply and be admitted. If you are not interested in earning a degree or graduate certificate, you may apply to our university as a Non-Degree Graduate Special Student.

Q. Do I have to apply for non-degree graduate special student status even if I am a JHU employee?

A. The Office of Admissions welcomes applications from all JHU employees who wish to enroll and are qualified to enroll in graduate non-degree status courses. Employees are required to meet the same admission criteria and deadlines as nonemployees for degree or non-degree-seeking enrollment.

Q. What is non-degree graduate special student status?

A. Non-Degree Graduate Special Student status offers applicants the opportunity to take graduate-level courses without formally pursuing a degree. This option is available for individuals who do not currently wish to pursue a degree but are interested in taking courses in a particular subject area or for professional development. Applicants must present an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, or international equivalent, verified from official transcripts with a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA on a 4.00 grade scale.

Q. Will I have to reapply later if I want to be admitted to a degree-seeking program?

A. Yes, you will need to submit a new online application form as well as all required supplementary materials to be considered for degree program admission.

Q. What are the steps to enrolling as a non-degree graduate special student?

A.Before starting an application, we recommend that you identify the course(s) in which you wish to enroll by researching both the online course descriptions listed in the SOE Academic Catalog and the Student Information System (SIS) course schedule to make sure that the course you identify is offered in the term you wish to enroll. Once you have identified the course and check that you have the prerequisites to enroll in the course, complete the non-degree application online at Apply Now and request all official transcripts to be sent to the Admissions Office.

Q. How many credits could I transfer into a master’s program from non-degree graduate studies?

A. Three credits for graduate certificates and six credits for master’s degrees.

Start your application today.