How to Apply
So you’ve decided to pursue the next step in your career as an educator or counselor. What’s next?
The School of Education has a variety of options for students looking for master’s degrees, doctoral degrees or certificate programs. Here are the steps you need to take to apply to the School of Education.
Step 1 – Do Your Research
Before applying to the School of Education, please review the available degree and certificate options to choose the program that is best suited to your academic and career goals. The degree and certificate page of our website is a great place to start.
Note: Current and prospective online students should be aware of other state specific policies and disclosures in effect for all JHU distance education programs, which are detailed on the university’s State Authorization of Distance Education web page.
Step 2 – Know Your Deadline
Application deadlines vary by degree, program and cohort option, so please familiarize yourself with the applicable deadline for your intended program of study. Allow plenty of time to collect transcripts, letters of recommendation and other supporting materials.
School of Education policy requires that you submit your online application and all supporting materials by the application deadline. Check the deadlines page for the full list of dates.
Step 3 – Know Your Application Requirements
Application requirements also vary by degree, program, and cohort option. However, in general, applicants will be required to submit the following:
- Official transcripts from all U.S. or Canadian colleges/universities attended (must be mailed in a sealed envelope to the Office of Admissions)
- If you are an international applicant, you will need to:
- Have your academic records evaluated by a credential evaluation agency if you hold a degree or have earned credits from a non-U.S. institution (with the exception of Canada) – see credential evaluation
- Submit official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores if English is not your native language – see test score requirements
- Please make sure you review the special instructions for applying
The following requirements can be uploaded electronically via the SIS Student Self-Service website after your application has been received:
- Essay or personal statement
- Signed letters of recommendation (do not email unless requested by the admissions office)
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Test scores, such as the GRE and Praxis I/Core are also required for some programs. Please review the School of Education’s general application requirements and your intended program of study’s specific application requirements to ensure that you submit the required materials. If you have questions about the application requirements for a program, please contact the Office of Admissions.
Step 4 – Apply Online
Now that you have identified your program of study, are familiar with the applicable deadlines and have gathered your materials, you are ready to apply online.
You must apply online using the School of Education Online Application.
The application fee is $80 and is non-refundable. Payment is made through the online application form.
Supplemental application materials, such as official transcripts and any other materials being submitted in hardcopy form, should be mailed to the Office of Admissions at the following address:
JHU School of Education
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 110
Columbia, MD 21046
Step 5 – Apply for Federal Financial Aid
Remember, you can apply for financial aid at the same time that you apply for admission to the university or are awaiting decision. For more information on the financial aid process, please click here.