Academic Progress

To continue receiving financial aid awards while enrolled at the School of Education, students must show progress toward their academic objectives, adhere to proper procedures for withdrawal and leaves of absence, and follow the School of Education’s Code of Conduct.


What Is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

“Satisfactory Progress” is measured as follows:

  • Measured in accordance with our grading policy, to qualify for “satisfactory academic progress,” an undergraduate student must maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and a graduate student must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Students must earn a final grade of B or higher in each course. All periods of prior enrollment must be considered for an initial award, even if the student received no aid for previous periods.
  • Quantitatively, both undergraduate and graduate students are expected to maintain a cumulative completion rate of at least 67 percent.
  • Treatment of AU, F, S, P and X grades, no grade reported and repeated coursework. A satisfactory (S) grade or a passing (P) grade is treated as attempted credits that are earned but are not included in the calculation of GPA. Audited (AU) and non-credit courses (X) are not considered for degree completion or aid eligibility.
  • In addition, undergraduate students must complete the required course work within a maximum timeframe of 150 percent of the published program length in credits (i.e. within 90 attempted credits for a 60-credit program). Graduate students must complete their certificate or degree program within a maximum time frame of five calendar years.
How Do Course Withdrawals (“W”), Repeat Coursework, and Grades of Incomplete Affect Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Each year, the School of Education publishes its academic standards in the academic catalog. However, financial aid recipients have additional standards they must meet.

Students who drop or withdraw (W) from a course are deemed not to have successfully completed that course. Students contemplating dropping credits should contact the Financial Aid Office to determine how such action will affect their financial aid.

Students may only receive aid for repeating a course once, and at the graduate level, only if the course was previously not completed or passed. The grade for the second attempt will be utilized in calculating the student’s GPA.

A grade of “I” (incomplete) is treated for SAP monitoring purposes as an “F” until a final grade is recorded. Students are responsible for verifying that the Financial Aid Office receives all grade changes.

The Financial Aid Office is required by federal statute to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term. The federal Title IV financial aid programs must be recalculated in these situations.

If a student leaves the institution prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term, the financial aid office recalculates eligibility for Title IV funds. Recalculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the following Federal Return of Title IV funds formula:

Percentage of payment period or term completed = the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the payment period or term. (Any break of five days or more is not counted as part of the days in the term.) This percentage is also the percentage of earned aid.

Funds are returned to the appropriate federal program based on the percentage of unearned aid using the following formula:

Aid to be returned = (100% of the aid that could be disbursed minus the percentage of earned aid) multiplied by the total amount of aid that could have been disbursed during the payment period or term.

If a student earned less aid than was disbursed, the institution would be required to return a portion of the funds and the student would be required to return a portion of the funds. Keep in mind that when Title IV funds are returned, the student borrower may owe a debit balance to the institution.

If a student earned more aid than was disbursed, the institution would owe the student a post-withdrawal disbursement which must be paid within 120 days of the student’s withdrawal.

The institution must return the amount of Title IV funds for which it is responsible no later than 30 days after the date of the determination of the date of the student’s withdrawal.

Refunds are allocated in the following order:

  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans Federal Pell Grants
  • Unsubsidized Federal Direct (or Stafford) Loans
  • Subsidized Federal Direct (or Stafford) Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal Teach Grant
  • Other assistance under this title for which a return of funds is required

Refer to the flow chart to see if you may be subject to a Return to Title IV calculation.

How Do Classes Taken at Another Institution and Transferred to SOE Affect a Student's SAP?

All credits accepted for transfer as part of the Admissions process are treated as attempted and completed credits in evaluating progress. However, grades earned at other institutions are not counted when computing student GPA for academic progress purposes.

How Often Is a Student's Progress Reviewed and How Are Students Notified?

Financial aid recipients are reviewed for progress at the end of each traditional semester of enrollment (Fall, Spring, Summer).

At that time, the Financial Aid Office will notify, in writing, students who have not maintained satisfactory academic progress and are placed on either financial aid warning or suspension status.

What is a Financial Aid Warning, and when is it issued?

Students who fail to meet the minimum cumulative grade-point average (2.0 for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduate students), earn a grade of C or less in a semester, or fail to complete at least two-thirds of cumulative credits attempted will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for the subsequent semester/period of enrollment. Students are still eligible for financial aid during the semester they are placed on warning.

Students receiving financial aid for the first time will be placed on Financial Aid Warning if they did not meet the minimum grade point average or course completion standards as noted in this policy based on the previous period of enrollment prior to applying for financial aid.

Students are not eligible for TIV Financial Aid and are placed on Financial Aid Suspension status if they are applying for financial aid for the first time and, upon review, have not met the minimum Financial Aid SAP standards for the previous two consecutive periods of enrollment.

Graduate students who earn two grades of F, three grades of C (C+, C or C-) or an F and two C grades in the same semester will be automatically placed on Financial Aid Suspension without a warning semester.

What is a Financial Aid Suspension and/or loss of Title IV Eligibility?

Students who, while on Financial Aid Warning, fail to maintain the minimum completion rate and/or fail to maintain the minimum cumulative GPA requirement will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension for subsequent semesters/periods of enrollment. No financial aid will be disbursed during subsequent semesters/periods of enrollment until the student regains financial aid eligibility.

Students applying for financial aid for the first time will not be eligible for financial aid and will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension if they did not meet the minimum grade point average or course completion standards as noted in this policy based on the two previous consecutive periods of enrollment prior to applying for financial aid.

Graduate students who earn two F grades, three C grades (C+, C, or C-), or an F and two C grades in the same semester will be automatically placed on Financial Aid Suspension, without a warning semester.

Students who do not complete their program within the maximum timeframe lose eligibility for financial aid and are placed on Financial Aid Suspension.

What is Financial Aid Probation, and how is Reinstatement of Aid awarded after a Financial Aid Suspension?

Reinstatement of financial aid after a student is placed in Financial Aid Suspended is achieved in one of the following ways:

  1. The student submits a written letter of appeal and the Financial Aid Appeals Committee grants the appeal. The student is placed on Financial Aid Probation for the next semester/period of enrollment and is eligible for Title IV aid during their Financial Aid Probation. If the appeal is approved but the committee has determined that the student will not be able to meet the SAP standards within one semester/period of enrollment, then the student will be placed on Financial Aid Probation with an Academic Plan which if followed will ensure the student is able to meet the SAP standards by a specific point in time.
  2. The student registers for coursework while on Financial Aid Suspension, and pays for tuition and fees without the help of student financial aid, and does well enough in the coursework to satisfy all the satisfactory academic progress standards at the end of the subsequent semester(s)/period(s) of enrollment.
  3. Students who are suspended from the university based on poor academic performance and are readmitted the following year or later are not automatically eligible for Title IV financial aid.
  • Students who upon review are determined to be ineligible for financial aid must submit a letter of appeal for reinstatement of aid. If the appeal is approved, they will be placed on probation for the following semester.
  • Otherwise, students who are reinstated academically are placed on a “financial aid warning” for the remainder of their academic program, even when the student meets the minimum SAP standards.

*Students who are beyond the maximum timeframe to completion may only regain financial aid eligibility on a semester-by-semester basis through the appeal process.

Is Financial Aid Probation the Same as Academic Probation?

No. Financial aid recipients must meet the minimum federal standards for academic progress, in addition to the Johns Hopkins School of Education’s academic standards for good standing for their program. Students should consult the academic policy standards for more information. Students on academic probation may not be eligible to receive financial aid.

What’s the Appeal Process?

Students placed on Financial Aid Suspended who want to submit an appeal should submit it in writing to the director of financial aid by the date specified in the Financial Aid Suspended notification letter. Appeals should include:

  • The grounds for appeal (i.e., working too many hours, etc.).
  • Demonstration that the student understands the reason behind failure to meet the SAP requirements.
  • Specific plans to rectify the student’s current academic status.
What Circumstances Are Considered When Appeals Are Submitted for Review?

Federal regulations identify the circumstances that can be taken into consideration in an appeal. The schools will consider the following special circumstances under the terms of federal statute:

  • Serious illness of or injury to a student.
  • Death of student’s immediate family member.
  • Other unusual circumstances that are documented by the Financial Aid Office and other school administrators.

The Financial Aid Appeals Committee will review the appeal and may consult with academic advisers and other involved parties as warranted. If it is determined that the student will not be able to meet the SAP standards by the end of the next semester/period, the Committee is in agreement that the student’s grounds for appeal are reasonable and the student has a reasonable chance to succeed and graduate, then the student will also be placed on an Academic Plan if the appeal is approved. Students will receive written notification of the decision. The committee will review the appeal and notify the student in writing of their decision within 14 working days after the appeals committee makes its determination. All decisions on such appeals are final. Students who lose eligibility for financial aid due to not meeting the minimum SAP standards more than one time during their program may submit an appeal each time.

What’s the role of an Academic Plan in the appeals process?

Students who lose eligibility and submit an appeal may be placed on an academic plan if the appeal is approved. The purpose of an academic plan is to support the student in coming back into compliance with the financial aid SAP standards by a specific point in time in order to ensure that they will be able to successfully complete the degree or certificate program. The academic plan will be specifically tailored to the student and may include milestones and specific requirements such as a reduced course load, specific courses or tutoring. Students on an academic plan are still responsible to meet the SAP requirements in the subsequent semester/period of enrollment and will lose eligibility if the SAP standards are not met, and need to go through the appeal process in order to regain eligibility. The student’s progress with the academic plan will be considered in any subsequent appeal process of financial aid eligibility.


Our team is ready to help you get the support you need quickly and easily. To get started, please request support through SEAM’s online form.

Contact Information

Johns Hopkins University
School of Education
Financial Aid Office
2800 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218
Phone: 410-516-9808

Office Hours
M to F | 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Request support through SEAM’s online form.