Admission Application Instructions
ADMISSION APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
ARE YOU READY TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP?
As you begin to prepare your application, familiarize yourself with the application process and requirements for your desired program(s) by reviewing the steps listed below- Learn How to Apply
To be admitted to a School of Education degree or certificate program, applicants are required to hold the appropriate qualifying degree(s).
- For master’s programs and graduate certificates, applicants for graduate admission must present official evidence of receipt of a four-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education or the equivalent by the time of expected matriculation.
- For doctoral programs, applicants must present official evidence of receipt of a four-year bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education or the equivalent by the time of expected matriculation.
LEARN HOW TO APPLY
Please follow the steps below to successfully submit and complete your admissions application. Your application may be submitted after you have answered all required questions. Additional application sections (test Scores, writing sample, and other requirements) will appear after you have selected a graduate program on the “Program Details” tab of your application. You do not have to complete your application in one sitting–you may access and edit your application as many times as desired until submitted by logging in with your username and password. To navigate through the system, please use the navigational links located on the left of your screen. Programs have different deadlines and requirements. Before you begin working on your application, please review important program specific information located in the Admissions Deadlines & Requirements section of our website To start your application, create a user account by clicking on the link below. You will be emailed a temporary PIN to log into the SOE Application. (Be sure to check your junk mail folder if you do not see the email.) Log in using your birth date and this temporary PIN. Once logged in, you will be prompted to create a password. Use this password along with your email address in subsequent logins.
How to Apply
Review the specific admissions requirements and deadlines for the program you are seeking admission.
- Our degree programs have different deadlines. The online application closes after 11:59 p.m. Eastern (EDT)) on the day of the deadline. John Hopkins does not extend or waive application deadlines for any reason, including technical issues experienced by applicants who have missed a program deadline. Please check our Admissions Deadlines & Requirement page for specific information on timelines.
Apply online and submit your application fee.
- Please use your legal name (first and last name/surname). International applicants, please list your full name as it appears on your passport.
- If your previous academic records list a former last name, please list the name your records are listed in the “Previous/Other Name field”.
- Please use a single email address that will not expire before your desired term of entry, as it will be used for all Office of Admissions correspondence.
- List all your previous college-level institutions on your application. You are required to report all institutions attended, including but not limited to: community college courses, military academies, post-baccalaureate, graduate, and doctoral work. If the Office of Admissions determines that an institution was not reported, you will receive a request to submit an official transcript. This can significantly delay the processing of your application. (NOTE: It is the policy of the School of Education that submitted application materials such as transcripts, test scores, CV, letters of recommendation, essays, and other items are neither returned nor forwarded on to a third party. This includes to other schools within Johns Hopkins University.)
- All letters of recommendation must be submitted through the online application system. Letters dated more than one year from the term you are applying will not be accepted.
Request official transcripts from all institutions and test scores (if required by your program-see below).
The Office of Admissions accepts certified electronic transcripts directly from issuing institutions to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or you may request your official transcripts be mailed to the following address:
Johns Hopkins University
School of Education
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 110
Columbia, MD 21046-2100
Note: Applicants who hold degrees or have earned credits from non-U.S. institutions must have their academic records evaluated by an accredited independent credential evaluation agency before they can be considered for admission to a degree program. Please visit our International Student Admissions section of the website for more information.
The following Johns Hopkins School of Education programs require submission of a standardized admission test as a requirement for admission consideration. If your program of interest is not listed below, then standardized testing is not required.
English language testing scores (i.e. TOEFL, IELTS) are required of all international applicants whose first language is not English. For more information on our international admissions policy, please refer to the International Student Admissions.
|Doctor of Philosophy||GRE - General Test|
|Master of Arts in Teaching||Passing score on one of the following exams: Praxis I, SAT, ACT, or GRE scores. For information on passing score requirements, please refer to the Maryland State Department of Education website.|
|Master of Science in Special Education – All concentrations & certification/non-certification||Passing score on one of the following exams: Praxis I, SAT, ACT, or GRE scores. For information on passing score requirements, please refer to the Maryland State Department of Education website.|
If the program that you are applying to requires standardized test scores, please contact the testing provider and request these scores be sent to Johns Hopkins University School of Education using the school code listed below.
SOE INSTITUTION CODES
|Test||SOE Institution Code|
|IELTS||Request score transcript to be mailed to the SOE Office of Admission|
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
M to F | 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Discover the School of Education and our home in Baltimore. Explore our academic offerings and our research expertise. And see how our graduate programs can transform your career and your future.