Academic Catalog: Transfer of Graduate Credits

The maximum number of graduate credits earned at another accredited college or university that may be transferred into a graduate certificate or master’s program in the School of Education varies by program, but in no case shall exceed three credits for graduate certificates and six credits for master’s degrees. For doctoral programs, the maximum number of transferable graduate credits allowed is 36 credits for the Ed.D. program (42 credits in certain cases) and 12 credits for the Ph.D. program. Graduate-level credits that were earned as part of a bachelor’s degree program cannot be transferred into an SOE graduate program.

In most cases, for graduate certificate or master’s programs, the School of Education will normally only accept transfer credits for courses taken no more than five years prior to a student’s acceptance into the program. The final decision regarding whether or not to accept graduate transfer credits, whether earned externally or internally (i.e. via another School of Education or other Johns Hopkins University graduate program), into a School of Education certificate or degree program rests: 1) (for applicants) with the respective program, or 2) (for enrolled students) with the faculty adviser or major adviser (for doctoral students), and will be decided upon on a case by case basis. Only graduate level credits earned at the grade of “B” or above (or equivalent) may be transferred into a School of Education graduate degree or certificate program.

A matriculated graduate student in the School who, under extraordinary circumstances, wishes to take a course offered by another institution to satisfy School of Education degree requirements must obtain written approval in advance from the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs (or designee). Approval is granted only in exceptional cases.