Veterans/G.I. Bill Assistance

Johns Hopkins is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission for training veterans, service members, eligible spouses and dependents under provisions of the various federal laws pertaining to veterans’ educational benefits. Information about veterans’ educational benefits is available at or call 1-888-442-4551.

Initial Enrollment

Students eligible for VA education benefits must first apply and be admitted to one of the schools within the University. In order to receive educational benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), students must apply for benefits using the VONAPP application. The VA will review the application. If eligible for education benefits, the VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility Letter to the student.

Eligible dependents of veterans should refer to to obtain the correct application form depending on the service member’s dates of service.

Note: If you have used VA education benefits previously at another university, you must complete the VA 22-1995 Form (Change of Program or Place of Training) through VONAPP (Veterans Online Application).

Students eligible for Post 9/11, Chapter 33 benefits register in the same manner as non-veteran students. A tuition payment is made by the VA directly to the university. The amount of payment is governed by the student’s eligibility established by the VA. The annual tuition cap for private schools is set by the VA. The student is responsible for the remaining tuition.

Students eligible for VA education benefits (excluding Post 9/11, Chapter 33) register and pay their university bills in the same manner as non-veteran students. Reimbursement is made to the student by the VA on a monthly basis. The amount of reimbursement is governed by the student’s rate of pursuit calculated by the number of courses taken during a semester.

In all of the above cases, veterans’ educational benefit payments may cover only a portion of assigned fees. Questions regarding enrollment procedures for the School of Education may be directed to the VA Certifying Official at 410-516-6635 or at

Copies of application, DD-214 and the Certificate of Eligibility Letter must be submitted to the School Certifying Official via email at

Note: As a final step, log into SIS Self-Service, click the Billing tab, select Third Party Billing, and choose U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Next, read the Student Acknowledgement Section and check the box to acknowledge and sign. Click submit.

Yellow Ribbon

Johns Hopkins University does participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Yellow Ribbon is applied to eligible veterans on a first come, first served basis.

Tuition Assistance

If utilizing tuition assistance, please email your TA Authorization Form to the University’s Certifying Team at