Register for Disability Services
Registering for Disability Services at the School of Education
1. Contact the Student Disability Services (SDS) Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to access the online registration form.
2. Complete the online registration form.
3. Upload documentation to establish eligibility for services and determine the most appropriate accommodations in an academic setting including an evaluation and diagnosis of the disability from a qualified professional. Documentation can be uploaded in the form of a letter on letterhead with the provider’s credentials and the following information:
- History of condition
- Chronicity of condition
- Functional limitations
- Impact on academic setting
- Recommendations for accommodations
Or a provider may complete the Documentation Verification Form which can be obtained through the SDS office upon request. Documentation from a previous educational institution may also be considered.
For complete documentation guidelines and information about specific disabilities (e.g. physical, medical, cognitive, sensory), visit Documentation Guidelines for Individuals with Disabilities.
4. After all required paperwork is submitted and reviewed, an intake interview will be scheduled with the SDS Coordinator. The interview provides an opportunity to discuss and/or determine appropriate academic accommodations, assess or identify available accommodation options, and address any questions or concerns.
After registering for accommodations while at Johns Hopkins, students must submit a renewal request each semester by following the below procedures:
Submit a renewal request. Choose Student and then login using your JHED ID and password.
To renew your accommodations for the new semester:
- Select the Accommodation tab on the left menu.
- Then select Renewal Requests.
- Skip over the search field, and select Add New.
- Already approved accommodations that can be renewed will be listed in the blue box.
- Choose a term from the drop down menu (e.g. Fall 2020).
- Use the Submit for All Accommodations button to renew your accommodations for courses.
- Choose Review the Renewal and to remove any accommodations you do not want to include in the renewal or to remove any courses for which you do not want to request specific accommodations. This step removes these only from this term’s request. Please note, if you remove an accommodation accidentally and want to add it back, you can choose the Request Additional Accommodations button to add back any already approved accommodations, but you cannot make new accommodations requests or changes here. To do that see Change/Add Accommodations below.
To change/add accommodations, submit the request before submitting a Renewal Request. That way any changes can be included when your accommodations are renewed.
- Select the Accommodation tab on the left menu
- Select Add New and follow the steps, including supplying information about any changes and uploading any updated or new documentation.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with your SDS Coordinator to discuss the changes and approving additional accommodations.