Vivian Lee is Associate Professor in the Counseling Program at Johns Hopkins University. Lee earned her doctoral degree in Counselor Education and Supervision from the University of Virginia’s CACREP accredited program in 1996. Lee is a member of the American Counseling Association, Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, and Association for Spiritual, Ethical and Religious Values in Counseling. Lee is the past Chair of the ACA International Committee, current Chair of the International Society for Policy Research and Evaluation for School-based Counseling, and past-president of the Maryland Counseling Association. Her research focuses on international advocacy for school-based counseling and nationally on counseling services in schools, she has authored and co-authored articles and book chapters on conflict resolution and violence, group counseling, and systemic and data-driven school counseling programs and peace, advocacy, and ethics. Lee is a former school counselor and held certification in Virginia and Pennsylvania.
University of Virginia, VA. Ed.D. Counselor Education & Supervision. May, 1996.
University of Virginia, VA. M.Ed. Counselor Education. January, 1986.
Trenton State College, NJ. B.S. Health and Physical Education, December 1979.
MEMBERSHIPS AND CERTIFICATIONS
American Counseling Association American School Counselor Association Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development Association for Spiritual, Ethical, and Religious Values in Counseling International Association for Counseling
(Author: V. V. Lee and V. V. Ripley – same) Book Chapters Lee, V. V., Goodnough, G. E. (2019). Systemic data-driven school counseling practice and programming for equity. In Dr. Bradley T. Erford (Ed.). Transforming the School Counseling Profession (5th) (5th, pp. 67-93). New York, New York, United states: Pearson. Erford, B. T., Lee, V. V., & Rock, E. (2019). Systemic approaches to counseling students experiencing complex and specialized problems. In Dr. Bradley T. Erford (Ed.). Transforming the School Counseling Profession (5th) (5th, pp. 67-93). New York, New York, United states: Pearson. Lee, V. V. (2018). A culture of positive peace: Counseling for structural and cultural transformation. In Courtland C. Lee (Ed.), Counseling for Social Justice (3rd) (3rd, pp. Chapter 2). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association. Lee, V. V., Carey, J. (2018). Ensuring equitable and inclusive global education: Transformational perspectives for global counseling in schools. In Courtland C. Lee (Ed.), Counseling for Social Justice (3rd) (3rd). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association. Lee, V. V., (2017). Ethical and social justice foundations of policy and policy research related to school-based counseling.In Carey, J., Harris, B., Lee, S.M., & Alude, O.(Eds.). International Handbook on Policy Research on School-Based Counseling. Cham, Switzerland: Springer. Lee, V. V. & Na, G. (2017). Using policy research in advocacy. In Carey, J., Harris, B., Lee, S. M., & Alude, O. (Eds.). International Handbook on Policy Research on School-Based Counseling. Cham, Switzerland: Springer. Goodnough, G. E. & Lee, V. V. Group counseling in schools. (2016). In B. T. Erford (Ed.), Professional school counseling handbook. (3rd.) Alexandria, VA: American School Counseling Association. Lee, V. V. & Goodnough, G. E. (2015). Systemic data-driven school counseling practice and programming for equity. In B. T. Erford (Ed.) Transforming the school counseling profession (4th.). Columbus, OH: Pearson Merrill Prentice-Hall.
National – United States Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Associate Professor, Counseling and Human Development Program, Aug 2015 – present.
International – Malta University of Malta, Msida, Malta
- Associate Professor, Department of Counseling, Faculty of Social Wellbeing, June 2013 – June 2015.
- Coordinator of Supervision – serving both the Master’s in Transcultural Counseling and Master’s in Counseling degree programs, June 2013 – 2015.
National – United States University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- Associate Adjunct Professor, Department of Counseling and Personnel Services, August 2004 –December 2012.
- Associate Adjunct Professor – faculty for dual degree master’s program University of Maryland/University of Malta – spring 2012. Developed and taught Advanced Topics in Counseling.
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling, July, 2002 – June, 2004.
- Co-Coordinator, School Counseling Specialty Area, Fall 2002 – June, 2004.
- Chair, Hampton Roads School Counseling Leadership Team, July, 2003 – June, 2004.
University of Scranton, Scranton, PA.
- Assistant Professor of Counseling and Human Services. Spring, 1998- May, 2002.
- Associate Director, Graduate School Counseling Program, 1999- 2002.
- Coordinator of Companion School Project with Education Trust Initiative for Transforming School Counseling – Spring, 2000 – May, 2002.
- Faculty Advisor, Chi Sigma Iota, Chi Delta Rho Chapter – 2000-2002.
The National Office for School Counselor Advocacy, The College Board, Washington, D.C.
- Senior Director, Counselor Advocacy, June, 2010 – 2013.
- Director, Counselor Advocacy, June 2009 – 2010.
- Higher Education Specialist, Counselor Advocacy – June 2004 – 2009.
- Inaugural staff and co-developer of National Office for School Counselor Advocacy.
ADVOCACY, LEADERSHIP AND SERVICE
- Chair-elect, International Society for Policy Research and Evaluation on School-based Counseling, May 2017 – present, 2 year term.
- Steering Committee Member – International Society for Policy Research and Evaluation on School-based Counseling. Winter 2017 – present
- Founding Member – International Society for Policy Research and Evaluation on School-based Counseling. Winter 2017 – present
- Lead, Peace and Social Justice Roundtable, International Association for Counseling, August 2015 – present.
Malta – Conference Development and Implementation
- International Summer Seminar. (2014) Crossing Borders: Counseling and the Challenges of Migration. University of Malta. Valletta, Malta. (conference design, development and implementation planning team member)
US National and State
- Chair, International Committee, American Counseling Association –July 2016 – July 2018
- Member, International Committee, American Counseling association – July 2015-2016
- Co-Chair, 5th National White House Reach Higher Convening, November 2016
- Reviewer for Journal for Counselor Leadership and Advocacy – 2013 – 2016
- White House Reach Higher Initiative Maryland State Team Lead –Fall 2015 – present
- VP for Postsecondary, Maryland Association for School Counseling, 2016 – present
- ACA Task Force for LGBT Development – Older Adults – Health, summer 2016 – present
- President, Maryland Association for Counseling and Development, 2010-2011
- American Counseling Association School Counseling Task Force, Fall 2010 – Summer 2011; reappointment to begin July 2012
- CACREP Team Member Training – ACA 2010
- American Counseling Association Leadership Development Institute – July 2010
- Pennsylvania Counselor Association – Membership Chair 1998-2002
University – Malta and US
- Steering Committee Member, Global Initiative: Alliance for a Healthier World, Johns Hopkins University – April 2017 – present
- Promotions Committee, Johns Hopkins University, Appointed Aug. 2018
- Chair, Strategic Planning Committee, School of Education, Johns Hopkins University – Aug. 2018
- Curriculum and Policy Committee, Johns Hopkins University – Sept 2015 – Aug 2018
- Strategic Planning Committee – Johns Hopkins University -September 2016 – present
- Strategic Planning Committee – Faculty for Social Wellbeing, University of Malta.
- Community Engagement Committee, Faculty for Social Wellbeing, University of Malta.
- Supervisor for master’s thesis in Department of Counseling
- Reader of master’s thesis for other university departments
- Johns Hopkins University – Member of two Doctoral Dissertation Committees
- Oregon State University – Member of Doctoral Dissertation Committee
- University of Connecticut – Member of Doctoral Dissertation Committee
- University of Maryland – Research Equivalence Committees/Dissertation for Doctoral Students
Keynote Addresses and Commencement
- Chi Sigma Iota: Promoting well-being and human rights. Keynote for Initiation Ceremony for JHU chapter of Chi Sigma Iota.
- Translational Research: The evolving face of professional practice. Collaborative Research Conference of Malta Association for the Counseling Profession and Department of Counseling, Keynote, Msida, Malta. Winter 2013.
- Drexel University School of Education: Critical Conversation in Urban Education Lecture Series. Inaugural Session, Philadelphia, PA. Spring 2012
- Annual Conference for the Connecticut Office of Financial and Academic Affairs for Higher Education on Financial Aid. Storrs, CT. Winter 2012
- BOSE Day of Sharing for Elementary and Middle School Counselors, Yorktown Heights, NY, Spring 2012
- Keynote presented at the University of Iowa Close the Achievement Gap Conference, Iowa City, IA. Spring, 2012.
- Commencement Address; Johns Hopkins University, Inaugural Cohort of School Counseling Fellows Master’s Program. Baltimore, MD. Spring 2011
- Massachusetts School Counselor Association Annual Conference. Springfield, MA. Fall 2011
AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2008 O’Hana Award – Granted by Counselors for Social Justice, Division of the American Counseling Association.
- Fulbright-Hays Scholars Group Project Abroad to Ghana, West Africa, (2001, summer).
- Improving Teaching Grant (2001, summer). Office of Instructional Development, University of Scranton. Grant to infuse international perspectives into school counseling curriculum based on Fulbright-Hays Group Project to Ghana.
- Faculty Advisor Highlight: Promoting excellence in school counseling (2001, fall). Chi Sigma Iota Exemplar, 6, 3.
- Internal Research Grant (AY 1998-99). Office of Instructional Development, University of Scranton. Grant to fund research on supervision of school counselors.