Vivian Lee, EdD
Vivian Lee emphasizes that the “transcultural counselor” should serve diverse populations and be free of any cultural biases. Lee spent two years teaching in the master’s program in transcultural counseling at the University of Malta. She teaches group counseling, a practicum and an internship focused on school counseling.
University of Virginia, VA. Ed.D. Counselor Education & Supervision. May, 1996.
University of Virginia, VA. M.Ed. Counselor Education. January, 1986.
Trenton State College, NJ. B.S. Health and Physical Education, December 1979.
TEACHING AND SUPERVISION
National – United States
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Associate Professor, Counseling and Human Development Program, Aug 2015 – present.
International – Malta
University of Malta, Msida, Malta
- Associate Professor, Department of Counseling, Faculty of Social Wellbeing, June 2013 – June 2015.
- Coordinator of Supervision – serving both the Master’s in Transcultural Counseling and Master’s in Counseling degree programs, June 2013 – 2015.
National – United States
University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- Associate Adjunct Professor, Department of Counseling and Personnel Services, August 2004 –December 2012.
- Associate Adjunct Professor – faculty for dual degree master’s program University of Maryland/University of Malta – spring 2012. Developed and taught Advanced Topics in Counseling.
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling, July, 2002 – June, 2004.
- Co-Coordinator, School Counseling Specialty Area, Fall 2002 – June, 2004.
- Chair, Hampton Roads School Counseling Leadership Team, July, 2003 – June, 2004.
University of Scranton, Scranton, PA.
- Assistant Professor of Counseling and Human Services. Spring, 1998- May, 2002.
- Associate Director, Graduate School Counseling Program, 1999- 2002.
- Coordinator of Companion School Project with Education Trust Initiative for Transforming School Counseling – Spring, 2000 – May, 2002.
- Faculty Advisor, Chi Sigma Iota, Chi Delta Rho Chapter – 2000-2002.
NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONAL EXPERIENCE
The National Office for School Counselor Advocacy, The College Board, Washington, D.C.
- Senior Director, Counselor Advocacy, June, 2010 – 2013.
- Director, Counselor Advocacy, June 2009 – 2010.
- Higher Education Specialist, Counselor Advocacy – June 2004 – 2009.
- Inaugural staff and co-developer of National Office for School Counselor Advocacy.
(Author: V. V. Lee and V. V. Ripley – same)
Lee, V. V., Goodnough, G. E. (2019). Systemic data-driven school counseling practice and programming for equity. In Dr. Bradley T. Erford (Ed.). Transforming the School Counseling Profession (5th) (5th, pp. 67-93). New York, New York, United states: Pearson.
Erford, B. T., Lee, V. V., & Rock, E. (2019). Systemic approaches to counseling students experiencing complex and specialized problems. In Dr. Bradley T. Erford (Ed.). Transforming the School Counseling Profession (5th) (5th, pp. 67-93). New York, New York, United states: Pearson.
Lee, V. V. (2018). A culture of positive peace: Counseling for structural and cultural transformation. In Courtland C. Lee (Ed.), Counseling for Social Justice (3rd) (3rd, pp. Chapter 2). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
Lee, V. V., Carey, J. (2018). Ensuring equitable and inclusive global education: Transformational perspectives for global counseling in schools. In Courtland C. Lee (Ed.), Counseling for Social Justice (3rd) (3rd). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
Lee, V. V., (2017). Ethical and social justice foundations of policy and policy research related to school-based counseling.In Carey, J., Harris, B., Lee, S.M., & Alude, O.(Eds.). International Handbook on Policy Research on School-Based Counseling. Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
Lee, V. V. & Na, G. (2017). Using policy research in advocacy. In Carey, J., Harris, B., Lee, S. M., & Alude, O. (Eds.). International Handbook on Policy Research on School-Based Counseling. Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
Goodnough, G. E. & Lee, V. V. Group counseling in schools. (2016). In B. T. Erford (Ed.), Professional school counseling handbook. (3rd.) Alexandria, VA: American School Counseling Association.
Lee, V. V. & Goodnough, G. E. (2015). Systemic data-driven school counseling practice and programming for equity. In B. T. Erford (Ed.) Transforming the school counseling profession (4th.). Columbus, OH: Pearson Merrill Prentice-Hall.
Erford, B. T., Lee, V. V., Newsome, D. W., & Rock, E. (2015). Youth at Risk. In B. T. Erford (Ed.) Transforming the school counseling profession (4th.). Columbus, OH: Pearson Merrill Prentice-Hall.
Lee, C. C., Mifsud, A., Vella. & Lee, V. V. (2015). A study of the acculturative stress, coping and quality of life among third country nationals (TCNs). Msida, Malta, University of Malta.
Lee, C. C. & Lee, V. V. (2015).A counselor abroad: The challenges to exporting a professional identity. Exemplar, 30th Anniversary Special Edition.
Holcomb-McCoy, C., Lee, V. V., Bryan, J., & Young, A. (2010). Ensuring College Access for All: A Call to the School Counseling Profession. In Counseling Today. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
Kepic, M., Lee, V. (2017). Health issues for older LGBTQ adults. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
American Counseling Association Webinar
Lee, V. V., Lee, C. C. (2017). Multicultural Counseling with Immigrant and Refugee Communities. American Counseling association – WEBA17003 – Multicultural Counseling with Immigrant and Refugee Communities.
SELECTED PUBLICATION CONTRIBUTION - INTERNATIONAL
Aditus Foundation (2014). Intercultural competence programme, adapting knowledge, skills and attitudes in the workplace: A training handbook. Valetta, Malta. Author.
Lee, V. V. (April, 2017). Living Peace and Social Justice in Society: What it means for counsellors around the world. Plenary at International Association for Counselling, Buenos Aries, Argentina.
Lee, V. V., Sheppard, B., & Mifsud, A. (July, 2016). Inaugural Session of the Peace and Social Justice Roundtable: Exploring concepts of peace and social justice with counselling through multi-national dialogue. International Association for Counselling, St. Julian’s, Malta.
Lee, V. V. (2015). Introduction of the Roundtable for Peace and Social Justice (2015) Plenary at International Association for Counselling. Victoria British Columbia, Canada.
Lee, C. C., Lee, V. V., Mifsud, A., & Vella, S. (2014 March). Intercultural Competence Programme: Adapting Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes in the Workplace. Workshop presented for Aditus Foundation (NGO). Valetta, Malta.
Specialized Presentations – US-Invited
Lee, V. V., Sink, C., Falzon, R., Shi, Q., (March 2018). Promoting evidenced-based school counseling policy in the US and internationally. Evidenced-based School Counseling Conference, CSCORE, New York City, NY.
Lee, V. V. (June 2017). Counseling strategies for grief and loss through a lens of cultural competence. Counseling Strategies, Office of Student and Family Support and Engagement, Montgomery County Public Schools, MD.
Lee, V. V. (January 2017). Cultural competence: What it is and why it is important. Workshop presented at the National Council for Community and education Partnerships conference. New York, NY.
Kepic, M., & Lee, V. V. (June 2017). Health and healthcare access challenges experienced by LGBT older adults: What counselors should know. American Counseling Association: Illuminate. Washington, DC.
Lee, V. V. (June, 2016). Using data systemically for systems change. School counselor trainings – multiple sessions to be presented for Utah State Department of Education.
Lee, V. V. (June, 2016). Cultural competence: School counselors meeting the needs of all students. School counselor trainings – multiple sessions to be presented for Utah State Department of Education.
Lee, V. V. (May, 2016). Using data for systems change in school counseling. Webinar presented to Utah State University School Counseling Students.
National (US) Peer Reviewed Presentations
Lee, C. C. & Lee, V. V. (March, 2017). The relationship of acculturative stress, coping and quality of life among immigrants. Paper presented at the American Counseling Association Conference, San Francisco, CA.
Lee, C. C., Lee, V. V., Mifsud, A., & Vella, S. (2015, March) Counseling Refugees and Asylum Seekers: Critical Factors in Psychosocial Well-being. American Counseling Association.
Lee, C. C., Lee, V. V., & Mifsud, D. (2015 March).Counselors as Global Citizens: Developing Transcultural Counseling Competency. American Counseling Association. Orlando, FL.
National – Peer Reviewed – (accepted not presented due to scheduling conflicts)
Lee, V. V. (April, 2016). Integrating peace and conflict transformation into counselor education. Paper accepted but not presented at Benjamin V. Cohen Peace Conference, Muncie, Indiana.
Lee, V. V. (February, 2016). Integrating College and Career Readiness into CACREP School Counseling Programs. 4th Annual Evidence-based School Counseling conference, Athens, GA.
State – Peer Reviewed
Lee, V. V. (February, 2016). Self and interpersonal violence. Invited presentation at Maryland Counseling Association Conference on Violence. Baltimore, MD.
Lee, V. V. (November, 2016). Intersectionality: A global perspective. Paper presented at the Maryland Counseling Association Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD.
Lee, V. V. (November, 2016). An applied systemic ecological approach to intersectionality: A shared journey for counselors, refugees and immigrants. Paper presented at the Maryland Counseling Association Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD.
SELECTED UNIVERSITY AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE
- Chair-elect, International Society for Policy Research and Evaluation on School-based Counseling, May 2017 – present, 2 year term.
- Steering Committee Member – International Society for Policy Research and Evaluation on School-based Counseling. Winter 2017 – present
- Founding Member – International Society for Policy Research and Evaluation on School-based Counseling. Winter 2017 – present
- Lead, Peace and Social Justice Roundtable, International Association for Counseling, August 2015 – present.
Malta – Conference Development and Implementation
- International Summer Seminar. (2014) Crossing Borders: Counseling and the
Challenges of Migration. University of Malta. Valletta, Malta. (conference design, development and implementation planning team member)
US National and State
- Chair, International Committee, American Counseling Association –July 2016 – July
- Member, International Committee, American Counseling association – July 2015-2016
- Co-Chair, 5th National White House Reach Higher Convening, November 2016
- Reviewer for Journal for Counselor Leadership and Advocacy – 2013 – 2016
- White House Reach Higher Initiative Maryland State Team Lead –Fall 2015 – present
- VP for Postsecondary, Maryland Association for School Counseling, 2016 – present
- ACA Task Force for LGBT Development – Older Adults – Health, summer 2016 – present
- President, Maryland Association for Counseling and Development, 2010-2011
- American Counseling Association School Counseling Task Force, Fall 2010 – Summer 2011; reappointment to begin July 2012
- CACREP Team Member Training – ACA 2010
- American Counseling Association Leadership Development Institute – July 2010
- Pennsylvania Counselor Association – Membership Chair 1998-2002
University – Malta and US
- Steering Committee Member, Global Initiative: Alliance for a Healthier World, Johns Hopkins University – April 2017 – present
- Promotions Committee, Johns Hopkins University, Appointed Aug. 2018
- Chair, Strategic Planning Committee, School of Education, Johns Hopkins University – Aug. 2018
- Curriculum and Policy Committee, Johns Hopkins University – Sept 2015 – Aug 2018
- Strategic Planning Committee – Johns Hopkins University -September 2016 – present
- Strategic Planning Committee – Faculty for Social Wellbeing, University of Malta.
- Community Engagement Committee, Faculty for Social Wellbeing, University of Malta.
- Supervisor for master’s thesis in Department of Counseling
- Reader of master’s thesis for other university departments
- Johns Hopkins University – Member of two Doctoral Dissertation Committees
- Oregon State University – Member of Doctoral Dissertation Committee
- University of Connecticut – Member of Doctoral Dissertation Committee
- University of Maryland – Research Equivalence Committees/Dissertation for Doctoral Students
Keynote Addresses and Commencement
- Chi Sigma Iota: Promoting well-being and human rights. Keynote for Initiation Ceremony for JHU chapter of Chi Sigma Iota.
- Translational Research: The evolving face of professional practice. Collaborative Research Conference of Malta Association for the Counseling Profession and Department of Counseling, Keynote, Msida, Malta. Winter 2013.
- Drexel University School of Education: Critical Conversation in Urban Education Lecture Series. Inaugural Session, Philadelphia, PA. Spring 2012
- Annual Conference for the Connecticut Office of Financial and Academic Affairs for Higher Education on Financial Aid. Storrs, CT. Winter 2012
- BOSE Day of Sharing for Elementary and Middle School Counselors, Yorktown Heights, NY, Spring 2012
- Keynote presented at the University of Iowa Close the Achievement Gap Conference, Iowa City, IA. Spring, 2012.
- Commencement Address; Johns Hopkins University, Inaugural Cohort of School Counseling Fellows Master’s Program. Baltimore, MD. Spring 2011
- Massachusetts School Counselor Association Annual Conference. Springfield, MA. Fall 2011
SELECTED GRANTS, AWARDS, & HONORS
- 2008 O’Hana Award – Granted by Counselors for Social Justice, Division of the American Counseling Association.
- Fulbright-Hays Scholars Group Project Abroad to Ghana, West Africa, (2001, summer).
- Improving Teaching Grant (2001, summer). Office of Instructional Development, University of Scranton. Grant to infuse international perspectives into school counseling curriculum based on Fulbright-Hays Group Project to Ghana.
- Faculty Advisor Highlight: Promoting excellence in school counseling (2001, fall). Chi Sigma Iota Exemplar, 6, 3.
- Internal Research Grant (AY 1998-99). Office of Instructional Development, University of
Scranton. Grant to fund research on supervision of school counselors.
- EDCP789: Advanced Topics in Counseling: Conflict Transformation and a Culture of Peace. Course developed and taught for spring 2012 – to present at University of Malta, Valetta, Malta in Transcultural Counseling Master’s Program.
- EDCP 789T: Advanced Topics: Program Planning: Principles and Practices of Urban School Counseling K-12; Capstone course for University of Maryland, College Park, MD – university-community culminating event.
- Advanced Counseling Theories for Ed.D. Online Program. (Summer 2016). Johns Hopkins University.
American Counseling Association
American School Counselor Association
Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development
Association for Spiritual, Ethical, and Religious Values in Counseling
International Association for Counseling