Financial Aid Fact Sheet


What types of financial aid are available? Who may be eligible?

The School of Education offer programs of financial support to help students finance the cost of attending their academic programs. Financial aid includes federal grants and low-interest loans, school-based and state scholarships and grants and awards.

You can be considered for financial aid if you:

  • are fully and unconditionally* accepted into a degree or approved certificate program of 15 or more credits (visit our Admissions page for information on how to apply);
  • are enrolled at least half-time each semester (4.5 credits or more for graduate; 6 credits or more for undergraduates);
  • complete all courses for which aid was awarded; and
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) – (3.00 cumulative GPA for graduates; 2.00 cumulative GPA for undergraduates) See “Academic Progress” for details.

*Limited assistance is available for provisionally admitted students for specific credits required for full admission.

For Federal and State aid, you must also:

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal education loan;
  • not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans or work-study); and
  • be admitted prior to the first day of classes for the semester in which you receive aid. Students admitted in mid-term will become eligible for federal aid the following semester. See “How to Apply” for more details.

The following applicants are not eligible for federal aid:

  • undergraduate and graduate special (non-degree-seeking) students
  • international students with the following Visa type:
    • F-1 or F-2 Student Visa;
    • J-1 or J-2 exchange-visitors Visa;
    • L-1;
    • G or H series Visa;
    • I688b.

You may want to consider using the tuition payment plan or alternative loans.

Academic Year & Half-Time Enrollment

The academic year consists of the summer, fall and spring semesters. The Summer 1 and Summer 2 terms together comprise the “Summer Semester.” Likewise, the Intersession and Spring terms together comprise the “Spring Semester.” For the purposes of most financial aid programs, students must maintain at least half-time enrollment in the semester. Half-time enrollment for undergraduate students is at least 6 credits in a semester. Half-time enrollment for graduate students is at least 4.5 credits per semester.

How much financial assistance can I expect to get?

We offer Federal Direct Student Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) to our students. Students typically borrow only the amount of their tuition, fees, and books. Full-time students may borrow the full cost of attendance up to $9,500 (first-year undergraduates), $10,500 (second-year undergraduates), $12, 500 (third and fourth-year undergraduates), or $20,500 (graduate students), if they are U.S. citizens, or permanent residents. The government will pay the interest on the subsidized portion of the loan if the student demonstrates financial need as calculated by Federal methodology. Please see loan programs, grants and scholarships, and external funding opportunities for more financial options. 

For additional information regarding financial aid or financial aid instructions and application packets, contact the Financial Aid office via phone 410-516-9808 or you can also request support through SEAM’s online form.


Explore our financial aid video library for short videos aimed at answering your most frequently asked questions.