Admitted Student Information
Responding to Your Offer of Admission
RESPONDING TO YOUR OFFER OF ADMISSION
Application decision notifications will be emailed to you or by visiting the applicant status portal by logging-in to available by logging into education.jhu.edu/applynow.
We ask that you, please notify us of your decision to accept an offer of admission by submitting a response via the application portal that you submitted your application. If you choose not to accept and offer, please use the same offer response form listed above to decline the offer.
If your program requires an enrollment deposit, you may make payment through a major credit card directly after submitting your offer response. Once your response is submitted, please proceed to complete the steps outlined in the Newly Admitted Student Checklist located in the Admitted Student Portal. A copy of this checklist has been provided in the Admitted Student Checklist listed below.
The time frame for responding to your admission offer in the Admitted Student Portal is approximately two weeks from the date you received your admission decision email notification or based on the due date provided by the program you have been admitted. If we receive no response for the term you applied, your application will be administratively withdrawn at the start of the semester. If you wish to be considered for a future semester after you have been administratively withdrawn, you will be required to submit a new admissions application and application fee.
Admission Deferral Request
ADMISSION DEFERRAL REQUEST
- Doctor of Education Online (EdD)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education (PhD)
- MS Educational Studies/TFA-TNTP
- MS Educational Studies/Urban Teachers
- Graduate Special Students/Non-Degree Seeking
- International Teaching and Global Leadership (ITGL)
To request a deferral of admission, complete the Deferral Request Form.
Newly Admitted Student Checklist
You will receive an email from the SOE Registration Office requesting that you activate and set-up your Johns Hopkins University Enterprise Directory (JHED) ID and JHU email account. JHED is a university-wide online directory of students, staff, and faculty. New students need to locate and activate their Login ID. The JHED ID and password give admitted students access to a variety of JHU online resources, including online registration and online library services.
- Go to the myJHU website
- Click the “First Time” user tab
- Enter your JHED ID (above) in the Login ID box
- Follow the prompts to verify your identity and create a password (The minimum character requirements of 8 characters with 2 alpha and 2 numeric)
- Once your ID and password have been created, you may now log into SIS Self-Service
International Students: You must use the last 5 digits of an assigned “988” number in place of a social security number when logging into JHED. This number is not a US Government issued social security number and is only active within Johns Hopkins. You will be provided with this Government ID via email within 24-48 hours of this notification. Please email the SOE Office of Registration at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about obtaining a “988” number.
If you already have a JHED ID because you are a former student or employee at JHU, you will not receive an email. For instructions on activating your JHED, go to this tutorial to locate your JHED ID.
SET UP YOUR JOHNS HOPKINS OUTLOOK LIVE E-MAIL
- All students will need their JHU e-mail account to register for classes. The University sends correspondences such as billing statements, universal announcements, and academic communications to your JHU e-mail account, so it is important for students to both activate and monitor this e-mail account.
- Log into the University enterprise portal.
- You will be prompted to “Accept the Office 365 Terms of Service” in order to set up the account for use. Scroll down to the bottom to accept.
- Once the Terms of Service has been accepted you will see the “Office 365 Quick link” on the left side of the portal page.
- Your e-mail should now be established. It may take an hour for your “E-Mail Alert” to be removed from your record. You can access this e-mail from the home page of the myJHU website.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS - CHECK-IN WITH OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL SERVICES (OIS)
- If you are an international student who has come to the U.S. on a JHU sponsored visa, you must complete your visa paperwork with the Office of International Services (OIS). Their email address is email@example.com.
- If you need a pdf of your admission offer letter on university letterhead, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you submitted your application after September 4, 2018, you may print a pdf of your admission decision letter.
LOG IN TO THE STUDENT INFORMATION SYSTEM (SIS)
Log-in to the Student Information System (SIS) portal using your JHED ID. This information was emailed to you after you accepted your offer of admission.
LOCATE YOUR ACADEMIC ADVISOR IN SIS
To locate your assigned advisor, navigate to the Registration Tab and select Program of Study Info. from the drop down. Contact your academic advisor to receive a course plan for your program of study. If you academic adviser is not available, please locate the academic program coordinator located under the Contact an Academic Program section of the Admissions website.
REGISTER FOR CLASSES
In SIS, select the Registration Tab to search and register for courses in the term that you were admitted. *Teach for America (TFA)/TNTP Students: Please do not register for any courses until you receive communication from the JHU School of Education TFA office.
Complete the Student Orientation to gain access to your courses in Blackboard. To access the SOE Student Orientation:
- Log-in to myJHU
- Click on the Education tab in the left side menu and Blackboard
- The new student orientation will be visible under the My Courses Plus tab
- This orientation course includes the following sections:
- Orientation Requirements
- Student Services
- Academic Program Info
- Academic Conduct
- Blackboard Learning Management System
- Online Learning
- Online Tools
- Avoiding Plagiarism
If you are unable to see the SOE Student Orientation in your course list, this indicates that you have not officially registered for courses in SIS.
LEARN ABOUT YOUR FINANCIAL AID OPTIONS
Click here to learn about how to apply for financial aid available to US citizens and eligible non-citizens through the FAFSA, and to learn more about partial scholarships available through the SOE Endowed Scholarship Program.
For information on tuition, fees and payment plans, including employment-based tuition programs, please click here for Student Account Services.
PURCHASE YOUR TEXTBOOKS
Visit the MBS Direct online store to begin purchasing your textbooks. The bookstore opens 4 weeks before the start of the semester/term. If your book is not listed at that time, no textbook information has been entered by the instructor. If that is the case, please keep checking back as information is updated daily before the semester start. Orders can also be placed by phone 800-325-3252 or fax 800-499-0143.
For questions about your book order, contact MBS customer service at 800-325-3252.
LEARN MORE ABOUT ACADEMIC POLICIES AND STUDENT SERVICES
ADD EMERGENCY CONTACT INFO INTO SIS
It is important for the University to have an emergency contact for you, in the case of an emergency. Please enter this information in the SIS. Log into SIS and hover over the “Personal Information” tab. Emergency contact is the third option under “Personal Information.” Please complete this information prior to beginning of courses.
Additional Helpful Resources & Contacts
- Housing Information and Student Tours of JHU’s Main Homewood Campus – visit our Life at Hopkins web page
- Contact your Program of Study Office
- How to Obtain a J-Card
- Financial Aid Questions – Email email@example.com or call 410-516-9808
- Health Insurance Questions – Email Registration firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Student Questions – Email The Office of International Services (OIS) email@example.com
- SIS Questions – Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-516-9816
- JHED Questions – Email SOE IT office at email@example.com or call 410-516-9747. They will respond in a 24 hour period.
- JHU Email – Email SOE IT office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-516-9747
- Registration Questions – Email email@example.com or call 410-516-9816
- Student Billing Questions (to pay bills or for Student Accounts) – Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-516-9722
If you have any other student resource questions, email email@example.com or call 410-516-9734.
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 180
Columbia, MD 21046
M to F | 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Discover the School of Education and our home in Baltimore. Explore our academic offerings and our research expertise. And see how our graduate programs can transform your career and your future.