Academic Catalog: General Financial Aid Information

Types of Aid

The School of Education offers financial support that includes federal grants and low-interest loans, state grants and scholarships, and school-based scholarships. In general, consideration for financial aid is restricted to students who have been fully and unconditionally accepted into a degree or approved certificate program, enroll half-time or more each semester, and maintain satisfactory academic progress.


Financial aid is available only for courses that are required of the program and for which students will receive credit toward completion of their degree. Courses taken merely for personal reasons or simply so a student can remain enrolled at least half-time are not eligible for federal financial aid. Audited courses do not count toward the credits required for financial aid availability. Students admitted in mid-term will become eligible for aid for the next semester.

In addition, to receive federal aid, students must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens; have registered with the Selective Service between the ages of 18 and 26 if male; not owe refunds on federal grants or be in default on federal educational loans; have a valid social security number, and be fully admitted prior to the first day of classes for the semester in which they receive aid. Alternative private educational loans can be used by students who are enrolled less than half-time and by international students. International students are encouraged to investigate the possibility of aid through their government or outside agencies before applying for these loans, which require a cosigner who is a US citizen.

The academic year consists of the summer, fall, and spring semesters. For financial aid purposes, the spring semester includes the January intersession. For the purpose of most financial aid programs, students must maintain at least half-time enrollment in the semester. Half-time enrollment for undergraduate students is at least 6 credits per semester. Half-time enrollment for graduate students is at least 4.5 credits per semester. Students who enroll in the January Intersession will have those credits added to their spring semester credits to determine their enrollment status.

Deferment of student loan repayment is available for students enrolled at least half-time and in a degree-seeking program. The Office of the Registrar reports student enrollment information to the National Student Clearinghouse which, in turn, will supply verification of enrollment to most lending agencies. Students who only need one or two courses to graduate and will enroll less-than half-time will go into their grace period as of the date they cease attending at least half-time. Deferment may also be available for other reasons, such as for service as a volunteer under the Peace Corps Act or the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973. (See Loan Deferment Requests for more information.)

To be considered for financial aid, a student must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using the school code E00475 and complete the School of Education (SOE) Planned Enrollment Form. (See Apply for Financial Aid – 2018-19 for more information.) Students need to reapply for aid each year by completing the next academic year’s Renewal FAFSA and SOE Planned Enrollment Form. School-based scholarship applicants also must complete the School-Based Scholarship Application on an annual basis.

Students must demonstrate financial need as calculated by federal methodology to be considered eligible for all need-based aid, including government-subsidized direct loans. In addition to other documentation, students selected for federal verification will also have to provide signed copies of their prior-prior year federal IRS Tax Transcript and those of parents or spouses, where applicable, including all schedules filed and W-2 forms. Students also have the option of importing their IRS Tax Transcript by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) through FAFSA.

The School of Education reserves the right to ask for documentation necessary to determine aid eligibility. Documents submitted as part of aid applications become the property of the school and cannot be returned. Applications for federal aid cannot be processed if the relevant tax returns have not been filed in accordance with IRS code. Federal regulations require that the school report suspected cases of fraud or misrepresentation to the appropriate federal, state, and local authorities. Gift aid (scholarships and grants) combined with employer-paid tuition support is taxable to the extent that it exceeds the federally allowable costs of tuition, fees, and required books and supplies, or is dedicated to other costs, such as living expenses. Federal grants may be taxable if, together with other gift assistance, they exceed the allowable costs.

Most financial aid available is in the form of federal student loans. For information on the types of financial aid available, please visit the Office of Financial Aid’s website. For purposes of federal loan eligibility, undergraduates must have completed at least 30 credits to qualify for a sophomore-level loan, and at least 60 credits to qualify for upper-classman loan limits. Unsubsidized direct loans, which are not need-based, are available to students who are ineligible or only partially eligible for the subsidized version.


The priority filing dates to apply for financial aid are April 1 for the summer semester; June 1 for the fall semester; and November 1 for the spring semester. The deadline to submit the School-Based Scholarship Application is April 1 for all programs. Students can apply for financial aid at any time during the academic year (prior to the end of classes), however the application process can take time, and only those who apply by the priority filing date can be assured that their financial aid awards will be ready for the start of classes. Maryland residents who wish to be considered for Maryland state scholarships must complete a FAFSA prior to March 1.

Financial aid awards begin to disburse to student billing accounts on the first day of the semester for students whose financial aid files are completed and awarded. When aid from all sources exceeds the tuition and fees charged by the School of Education, the Student Accounts Office will process a refund of any credit balance remaining on the student’s account. In order to receive a refund, students must enroll with BankMobile. (Note: Information regarding BankMobile will be sent to a student’s Johns Hopkins email account.) Students whose aid award exceeds the cost of tuition and fees may request book vouchers for use at the school’s bookstores three weeks prior to the start of class.

Satisfactory Academic Compliance

Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress and credit compliance (half-time enrollment in required courses per semester in which aid is received) to continue to be eligible for financial aid. Academic progress is reviewed at the end of each semester. Loss of aid eligibility due to noncompliance with satisfactory academic progress policy may be appealed in writing to the Financial Aid Office, including presentation of evidence substantiating the reason for failing to achieve academic progress. Federal regulations identify the special circumstances that can be taken into consideration in an appeal. The appeal statement will identify what measures the student has taken or will take, to rectify the situation. The appeal statement will be reviewed and faculty advisers and/or deans may be consulted. The student will be notified of the decision in writing. All decisions are final. (See Academic Progress for more information on the requirements for financial aid recipients.)

In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, students receiving Title IV aid who drop below half-time status or withdraw completely will have their aid returned to the government according to a federal formula. Aid proceeds, which have been previously refunded to the student for living expenses, may have to be repaid immediately as well. Since such changes in academic status will also affect students’ future eligibility for aid, it is recommended that Title IV aid recipients who contemplate withdrawing or reducing their status below half-time first consult the financial aid office.

Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

Financial Aid Office
Johns Hopkins School of Education
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 110
Columbia, MD 21046-2100

Using Federal Financial Aid to Purchase Books/Supplies

If your financial aid file is complete (all documents and outstanding requirements were submitted on or before our published deadlines) and you are entitled to a refund of excess federal student aid funds, you should receive your refund in time to buy required books and supplies during the first week of a term. Students enrolled in modules and/or courses that do not begin within seven days of the start of the term may not receive their aid until they actually begin class. To ensure timely receipt of your refund, be sure to choose the method to receive your refund as soon as possible.