Skip Navigation

We consider a range of criteria when reviewing applications for admission. The following are required for consideration for all graduate degree and certificate programs:

  • Depending on the program, a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university. If you are applying to a post-master's certificate program, you must hold a master's degree in an appropriate field from a regionally accredited college or university.
  • All applicants are required to have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) at both the undergraduate and graduate level (including programs in progress).
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. To be deemed official, transcripts must be received in the Office of Admissions in the institution's sealed envelope. If you earned degrees or credit from educational institutions abroad, your academic records must be evaluated by a credential evaluation agency before you can be considered for admission.
  • Some programs require applicants to submit supporting materials, such as letters of recommendation, a current professional resume, and standardized test scores. Please refer to the Degree/Certificate Programs and Applications Requirements chart (PDF Format) for more information. The Johns Hopkins University School of Education GRE code is 5470, and the Praxis code is 5332.
  • If English is not your native language, you are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and receive a minimum score of 600 paper-based, 250 computer-based, or 100 Internet-based. The test must have been taken within the last two years. See the International Services on our student services site for more information.

New Application Requirements Effective for Spring 2012 Admission

The following common set of application requirements are for all graduate degree and certificate programs beginning with Spring 2012 admission:

Transfer of Graduate Credit

  • The maximum number of credits earned at another regionally or nationally accredited college or university that may be transferred into a graduate certificate or master's program in the School of Education varies by program, but in no case shall exceed three credits for graduate certficates and six credits for master's degrees.
  • The School of Education will normally only accept transfer credits for courses taken no more than five years prior to an applicant's acceptance into a School of Education graduate certificate or master's program.

If you are a matriculated School of Education graduate student who, under extraordinary circumstances, wishes to take a course offered by another institution to satisfy School of Education degree requirements, you must obtain written approval in advance from your department chair, or academic adviser. Approval is granted only in exceptional cases.

Admission to Other Schools in the University

If you are a School of Education student who wishes to transfer to one of the other schools in the university (such as Engineering, Public Health, or Peabody), you are required to submit an admissions application to that school. Admission to the School of Education establishes no claim or priority for admission to any other school in the university.

Have More Questions?

Read our Frequently Asked Questions about Admission for more information.

Request More Information

Fill out this form to receive more information about the SOE and what programs would work for you.