While the Johns Hopkins School of Education (SOE) was established in 2007, its origins can be traced back to the 1909 founding of the university College Courses for Teachers, later renamed College for Teachers.
Focused on addressing the professional development needs of the region’s educators, the School was thus defined by community outreach—primarily to urban communities—and creative, part-time programs. This mission paved the way for expanded offerings to business and technology professionals, as well as to applied research and partnership activities with the region’s business, education, and governmental communities.
By 1947, the School’s part-time programs were consolidated into McCoy College, later known as the Evening College and Summer Session. In 1984, the School was renamed the School of Continuing Studies, and in 1999, the School of Professional Studies in Business and Education (SPSBE), a progression reflecting its dynamic nature.
In addition to being one of the oldest academic units of the university, the School was the first Homewood unit to enroll women undergraduates, the first to offer Hopkins degrees for working professionals on a part-time basis, and the first to offer Hopkins degrees at multiple sites throughout the region; it also led the university in the evolution and implementation of part-time, flexible format programs to advance lifelong, professional learning. The School also welcomed many military men and women returning home after wartime service to pursue their education on the GI bill.
In January 2007, thanks to a generous gift from Trustee Emeritus William Polk Carey, SPSBE split into two schools: the Carey Business School and the School of Education. In the wake of the split, the School of Education found itself in the unique position of being both one of the oldest and one of the newest units at Johns Hopkins.
The School of Education quickly took its place as a national leader in education through research and teaching, and is ranked second by U.S. News and World Report’s Best Graduate Schools of Education 2013-2014. The school, which receives more funded research than any other graduate school of education in the United States, currently awards more than 500 master’s degrees in education annually, enrolls more than 1,500 students and employs 68 full-time faculty and 20 JHU joint appointments. Classes are offered at the Homewood, Columbia and Montgomery Country campuses.